Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive had pink eye for 10 days. It started in my left eye, but

I've had pink eye for 10 days. It started in my left eye, but both eyes were scratchy so I treated them both. (I caught it from my daughter whose pedi said hers was allergy-caused). I treated it the first 5 days with some drops he gave her called Vigamox. She started the Vigamox and was cleared up within 24hrs, we did the drops for 3 days.

I also used diluted apple cider vinegar (very very diluted) and some coconut oil (cold pressed, organic) which I read online could help. Finally, on Monday my right eye looked not so swollen and not blood red (now pink rather than bloodshot) but my vision was very blurry in the distance (I noramlly have 20/20). I can't read signs that are 30ft away which normally wouldn't be a problem. Oddly, it seeemd to be my right eye causing the problem with my vision.

Yday, other than some scratchiness and blurriness (which leads to headache and fatigue), I felt like I was getting better. I wake up this morning with my right eye sealed closed and swollen 3/4 of the way shut. I'm miserable! I'm in sales and can't work looking live I've had my eye punched, not to mention it's contagious. Is it normal for it to last this long? Can it damage my eye if it persists? At what point should I see an eye doctor? I don't have medical or vision insurance (and $150 to see a dr right now is at the bottom of my list, lol)... so I'm trying to wait and see when it's an *emergent* situation to see someone. What do you think?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Pink eye is caused by a virus and, as such, antibiotics such as Vigamox has no effect on it at all -- even if it seem like it does.

Dr. Rick :

I would stop using the apple cider and coconut oil.....you may have caused a secondary bacterial infection with these non-sterile solutions. If you do now have a secondary bacterial infection, the vigamox, one drop 4x/day should clear it up.

Dr. Rick :

If your vision is decreased significantly, which it seems like it is, and with the new swelling and discomfort I think it is probably time for you to see an eye doctor. Make sure you see an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist....

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

I don't believe I have a secondary infection simply b/c I primary treated the left eye with those and it seems to be fine now, though still blurry. Plus, the vigamox didn't help either eye, lol. So, It's my assumption that it's viral as well. At this point, if I wait a few more days to see if it "Runs it's course" in my right eye, can it cause permanent damage to my vision?

Customer:

Oh, and no offense lol but I'm generally a homeopathic/ natural remedy person vs Rx... that's why I don't have insurance ;-) But I do knw there's a time and place for those things as well.

Dr. Rick :

If it is viral infection? No, it won't cause damage to your eye to wait. If it is bacterial, especially some of the more nasty ones, 24 hours can make a huge difference. Without looking at your eye, I can't be sure what you have so I can't give you a firm answer on this one.....

Dr. Rick :

Vigamox is the "nuclear weapon" of eye drops....covers most bugs and really clobbers the nasty ones....

Customer:

I think maybe I can treat the affected eye with the vigamox for a day or so and see how it goes. If it remains the same over the next 24hrs, then I will see a dr. If it is bacterial, should the vigamox have an impact in 24hrs?

Dr. Rick :

or if it gets worse in the next 4 hours or so......a viral infection shouldn't change much over the course of today, but a serious bacterial infection will get worse.

Dr. Rick :

How's that sound for a plan?

Customer:

That works for me, Thanks for the help!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Hope you get better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Thanks!