Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, I have had a contant under eye spasm, right eye for

Customer Question

I have had a contant under eye spasm, right eye for a week and half now. The twtiching has been constant 24/7 as seems to be getting worse. I have been to the Doctor and she has offered no real advice. This is driving me crazy and is effecting work what can I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I have 5 min

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay sorry I did not receive an answer, checked the wrong box!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I di not receive an answer
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
The most likely cause of your symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is a involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, what is the usually time frame for this to go away on it's own? My doctor has refered me to an opthalmologist who said you could try and Botox injection if it does not stop.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Botox injections are usually reserved for a much more severe issue such as blepharospasm or facial myokymia. In the first disease the muscles contract so strongly that you can't open your eyes, rendering you functionally blind. In the second disease there may be an underlying disease such as MS, a tumor etc.

That doesn't sound like what you have. myokymia resolves on its own. How quickly? Depends if you can get more sleep, drink less caffeine etc...but usually things resolve in 3 or 4 weeks.

I'd not rush to botox treatment for this issue....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything you can do about the pain of this condition?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
There should not be any pain with this condition.......
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay I do have some pain, I think due to the jumpy contractions directly under my eye. I am also having trouble with bright lights. I will take your advice and get more sleep, less caffefine, and give it a couple more weeks. When should I be worried this will not go away or maybe is something more serious.

Jen

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying £3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much, I really appreciate the advice!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
No problem