Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a question about the glaucoma drug Rescula. I have

I have a question about the glaucoma drug Rescula. I have extremely healthy optic nerves, but mid-20's pressures (for 17 years now and I'm only 49). This last year, the advanced OCT scan showed a very small spot on my right eye's retina that is thinner, so they want to treat that eye. I had insomnia with Timolol and was allergic to Trusopt, so now I'm stuck with the prostaglandins. I am worried about iris color change as my eyes are blue, but have a brown ring around the pupil. Rescula says the odds of iris pigmentation are 1% which is much less than the other prostaglandins. I don't need that much pressure reduction, just a moderate amount. Would this be a decent option? Does anyone use it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi -- have you ever used Rescula? Does it change iris color less frequently? The pharmaceutical documentation said 1%

Dr. Rick :

yes, it is used and works well to bring down the pressure.

Customer:

does it change iris color less frequently than the other prostaglandins?

Dr. Rick :

It happens, but not frequently at all. To tell you the truth, I think more of an issue is made of this color change thing due to all the lawyers swimming around.

Customer:

does it happen less with Rescula than the other prostaglandins?

Dr. Rick :

That is what they say, the the frequency of color change is small with the other agents, so it is hard to tell what is less then a small amount.

Dr. Rick :

Are you going to be using it in both eyes?

Customer:

only need it in one, but would treat both because of the possibility of color change. dr. is in agreement with this.

Customer:

they do say the frequency of color change is less?

Dr. Rick :

In almost two decades of practicing ophthalmology I've never met a patient who had iris color change from this class of drugs, but I know it does happen.

Customer:

my dr. told me I had 50% odds

Dr. Rick :

Yes, they do say it is less.....I think you will be safe to use this drop.

Customer:

how come my Walgreens doesn't carry it and has to order it?

Dr. Rick :

50% odds of a color change?!? That seems way high to me.

Customer:

is it not used very often?

Dr. Rick :

I don't know, walgreens doesn't let me in on the meetings where they set their drug ordering policy :)

Dr. Rick :

It is fairly new.

Customer:

ok, but it is a regularly used drug? just a little newer?

Customer:

I don't care how much it costs.

Dr. Rick :

yes. It is used regularly. You would not be a guinea pig......

Customer:

ok, then that is what I'm asking for. I'm seeing my dr. Wed.

Dr. Rick :

Glad to be of helpl.

Customer:

I apparently have the exact kind of eyes that change color easily -- blue/green with a brown ring around the pupil

Dr. Rick :

Is your doctor a glaucoma specialist?

Customer:

yes, he is a neuro-ophthalmologist with a secondary specialty in glaucoma

Dr. Rick :

but remember...this color change is very, very rare. Just because you have those color eyes doesn't mean you are going have them change on you.

Customer:

ok, thank you!

Dr. Rick :

sound like a well educated doc.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure.

Customer:

yes, he's good. thanks again

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening. Take care.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k