Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

contact lenses cause irreversible damage to the eyes..lens..eyes feel

Hi, I just wondered, can wearing contact lenses cause irreversible damage to the eyes? I used to happily wear contact lenses, alternating between the gas permeable and soft toric type of lens. After thirteen years of successful use, I suddenly started finding them very uncomfortable to wear - they made my eyes feel gritty and sore. I was told my eyes were showing signs of oxygen deprivation and although there was no lasting damage, thank goodness, I was advised to cease wearing contact lenses, at least for a while, to give my eyes a rest. This was back in 1997 and I have stuck with wearing glasses ever since to be on the safe side. Would it be safe for me to wear contact lenses for special occasions just now and again or should I steer well clear? I've been scared to try but I thought modern lenses might have improved to allow more oxygen to get to the eyes.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I believe you would be safe to wear soft/toric contact lenses for special occasions now.

Dr. Rick :

You may have slight dry eye issues and, as such, may benefit from the use of preservative free natural tears while wearing them, but this really shouldn't be a big issue.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

I see you were typing but nothing showed up on my screen. Can you see what I am typing to you?

Yes,thank you. Sorry for taking a while. Yes, my eyes are rather sensitive to light, water etc. and do feel dry at times. Certain brands of eye drops seem to make them red and sore,also. I may try the toric lenses again. My main concern was the risk of causing lasting damage.