Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I suffered a PVD from a boxers punch 3 days ago, I am still

Customer Question

I suffered a PVD from a boxers punch 3 days ago, I am still experiencing floaters and flashes of light in very dark room. I have seen 3 ophthalmologists. that have all told me to be patient and I will learn to live with them. I work on a computer all day and these cobwebs are extremely frustrating. What is the likelyhood they will subside from my vision due to a trauma related injury.

Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If 3 different ophthalmologist all did a depressed exam, viewing your entire retina, then things should be OK.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Rick thanks for taking my question. you can understand my distress and panic as I have never had anything like this in my vision for my entire life.

Dr. Rick :

However, as long as you are experiencing the flashes of light you are at risk for a retinal tear. I am sure that the docs gave you a handout on the signs and symptoms of a retinal detachment and the need to come back ASAP if you have any of them.

Customer:

All eye doctors, did tell me that my eye looked fine. The troubling fact is that theres no real cure or timeline that my floaters will subside so im trying to come to terms with that. In your experience have people who experienced a pvd from an injry had any different healing then ones who had a pvd brought on by disease or old age?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, I can. My specialty is retina.... so I understand what you are going through on a few levels, since I've had floaters myself for years

Customer:

I guess im trying to figure out if I would heal differently and if the floaters would eventually escape my vision without the need for surgery.

Dr. Rick :

PVD from trauma has a much higher rate of retina involvement.

Dr. Rick :

The floaters will eventually sink down out of your visual axis and your brain will, sorta, "filter them out" so you don't notice them so much. You should have a repeat depressed eye exam in 3 to 4 weeks since you are still having the floaters, or -- once again-- immediately if you notice a curtain coming across your vision, a large increase in floaters or flashes.

Dr. Rick :

and no boxing until this resolves :)

Customer:

Is it true that with time the cobweb will settle from this type of PVD, or will it always be present in my field of vision? I find it amazing that I never hear about this from others that i train with or professional athletes. So it only gives me hope that they would settle at some point. As it just happened this weekend Im afraid to do anything let alone box or go outside.

Dr. Rick :

they will settle. You can go outside but no boxing until the flashes stop, unless you can call your head off limits during bouts

Customer:

One last questions, does it vary on the timeline for them to settle? from days to weeks to months? they way it was explained to me it is protein suspended in my eye with no place to go.

Customer:

This has scared me off boxing forever, you dont have to worry about that. Im more concerned about not being able to work in front of the computer again due to the cobwebs.

Dr. Rick :

That is true....they do settle at different rates, but you will be ok. And, they are sorta right about the protein thing, but it does have someplace to do -- down out of your central vision.

Dr. Rick :

Don't worry....it is very, very, very rare that someone would loose vision due to the cobwebs getting in the way. And if they are that bad there are things that can be done to remove them....but don't ask, as the treatment is very risky so we don't do it often.....

Customer:

Yeah ive had all weekend to research boththose options as extremes in going through this for the first time.

Customer:

Do people commonly sufferer multiple PVD`s throughout their life without lasting effects in your experience?

Dr. Rick :

once you've had a pvd in your eye that is it....you can't have more then one complete pvd per eye. And I've had a pvd in my left eye for 25 years and it hasn't kept me from being a pretty good eye surgeon......

Customer:

And should I expect the flashes and cobwebs to subside at about the same frequency?

Dr. Rick :

no, the flashes should end first. The sooner the better.

Customer:

So when you had the cobwebs from your pvd they eventually subsided?

Dr. Rick :

they sink and your brain filters them out so you don't notice them so much, but they can always be seen on a complete eye exam....they don't go away.

Dr. Rick :

did the eye doctors who examined you press on your eyeball with a stick when looking inside your eye with the bright light on their head? It should have been somewhat uncomfortable of an exam.

Customer:

Thanks Dr. Rick, one last question. In your experience with people my age having a pvd from eye trauma. What varying timelines have you seen them having the cobweb obstructions clear from their vision unless they really look for them

Customer:

Yeah the last one did that.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question. I would have to say on the order of a few months.

Dr. Rick :

Good. That is what is need to fully check out your retina for damage.....

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like you have had excellent treatment and should be OK

Customer:

So if its going to be the permamnent type of thing, I should wait a few months before I really worry about that

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't worry about it......you will see that there will be no long term damage to yours vision from this and everything will be fine. Heck, you can even go back to boxing in a few weeks/months, as long as you duck better :o)

Customer:

Any suggestions on coping mechanisms until it moves from my field of vision?

Customer:

Yeah I dont plan to train anymore, since im a computer programmer and look at code all day on a white screen i just worry about always having this cob web for the rest of my life.

Dr. Rick :

Relax, go for a walk in the woods and enjoy the spring. If that doesn't work, get drunk.

Dr. Rick :

just kidding :)

Dr. Rick :

Ya, I bet that code can be hard to concentrate on during the best of days.....but you will be ok.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can add to the discussion today for you?

Customer:

Thanks for the positive words, its more then I got from all my doctors today that were just saying "Get used to it, you will learn to adapt to it"

Customer:

Its something you always take for granted until you have a problem with your eyes

Dr. Rick :

Ya, that's not very helpful.....Anyway, it's been a pleasure chatting with you. Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Dr. Rick :

Truth.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day. Bye

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a way I can gt in touch with you in the future, to keep you updated on my condition along with any follow up questions? Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you can ask for me on this site. Take care.