Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had two corneas rejected(DSAEK) In a week I must give

I have had two corneas rejected(DSAEK) In a week I must give my doctor an answe to another DSAEK procedure or a complete cornea transplant. Help!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

do you know why your last two DEAEK were rejected?

Dr. Rick :

And why your surgeon believes that a PK will have a better survival chance?

Customer:

The first was it had been damaged in transport.

Customer:

The second did not attach itself after I had an emergency surgery to remove the water which had caused extreme headaches!! I can't answer the last question until I speak to Dr. Salinger. Can you help me?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. sorry we keep missing each other on the chat system....

Dr. Rick :

If there has been two failures of the DSAEK it is possible that the inner aspect of your cornea (where the endothelium attaches) is no longer healthy enough to support a new graft. Also, to do the DSAEK surgery it is necessary to be able to see what you are doing through the host cornea.....perhaps yours is no longer clear enough to do the surgery safely.

Dr. Rick :

If the doctor is willing to attempt another DSAEK procedure, and feels that, all things being equal, it has a good chance of working this time, I would go with that first. If things go to pot again, you can always fall back on a full thickness corneal transplant.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Now that you are here.....what condition lead to you needing DSAEK? Is your surgeon a corneal specialist?

Customer:

I have Fuchs dystrophy and Dr. Salinger is a cornea specialist

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Fuchs dystrophy responds well to DSAEK and PK. Cornea specialist is good.

Dr. Rick :

It may be that you have just had bad luck these last two times. Tissue damaged in transport happens and pressure/fluid problems happens. I'd go for the DSAEK if Dr. Salinger feels it is a good idea. What are your thoughts on the issue?

Dr. Rick :

My mom lives in West Palm Beach too....

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have gone offline.

Dr. Rick :

Your back :)

Dr. Rick :

My system says you have been typing for over ten minutes now....I think the system may be stuck. We can continue on Q&A

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry but nothing that you have typed recently was posted......but I'm still here.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am still here and we can "chat" using the Q&A function if you would like to continue working on your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The best thing to do is to trust your surgeon. Ask him which procedure he thinks is best for you....

My vote is for a repeat DSAEK, but remember I'm just a retina guy.

Best of luck to you; third times a charm :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD