Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

for about 2 months my right eye flicks constantly, theres

for about 2 months my right eye flicks constantly, there's no breaks, and sometimes i lose sight, also there's a deep sharp pain, it's becoming very annoying, i have to wear shades in day, at night it's worst, it just flicks faster and faster, i keep it closed if i can.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

hi

Dr. Rick :

What do you mean by "flicks"? And tell me more about these episodes of vision loss....it it in one eye only?

Dr. Rick :

Hi

Customer:

like vibrating in my eye, it's my right eye, people comment that it's visable

Customer:

i was tested for MS. but got the all clear

Dr. Rick :

The vibrating issue is most likely myokymia

Customer:

what is that?

Customer:

i get white dots, like snow sometimes, when it's very bright outside

Customer:

and some days i see just white

Dr. Rick :

myokymia is irritation of the nerve that runs the muscles around your eye, orbit and, sometimes, the ones that move your eyeball. It is nothing to worry about and requires no treatment? What causes it? Well, it is thought to be caused by lack of good sleep, too much caffeine intake, and stress. Changing any of these things usually will help. I've personally had it and after a week or so it went away.

Dr. Rick :

The dots are most likely vitreous floaters. This, once again, is nothing to worry about. Here is a little handout I put together for this common issue:

Customer:

i'm not worried, and i eat and drink very healthy, i have a gluten free diet

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

You eat better then I do :)

Dr. Rick :

As you so aptly mentioned in your post, it might not be a bad idea to have an exam by an ophthalmologist.....although I've heard it can be hard to get in to see a specialist on your side of the "pond"

Customer:

well i am kinda stressed, but i can't see how what i am going through would make my eye flicker

Customer:

well i'll try see one, because i can't wear my shades everyday, i get weird looks just for that

Dr. Rick :

There really is no good data available on what triggers myokymia and the treatment options have, really, been figured out over time by trial and error. The good news though is that it definitely not a sign of something terrible.

Customer:

thankyou for help

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

can i just ask, what if someone you know accidently punched you in the head

Customer:

anyway no worries, thankyou.

Dr. Rick :

I would be very upset at them. What are you getting at?

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

no me

Customer:

punched me

Dr. Rick :

You would need a very long arm to do that as I'm in Wisconsin :o)

Dr. Rick :

who punched you and how does it figure in on this issue?

Customer:

no my husband punched me in face, by accident once, but i didn't bruise

Customer:

can that cause the eye flicker

Dr. Rick :

Ok....now I get it. No. That really shouldn't have anything to do with the twitching thing.

Customer:

oh sorry you not a shrink, i go see a eye doc. thankyou take care

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Take care.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Have a great day....or should I say evening on your side of the Atlantic?