Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

If I rub my left eye or push around the surrounding space between

If I rub my left eye or push around the surrounding space between my eye and forehead, I can hear a popping sound. I recently have had my eyes examined and no I will need progressive lenses and also have a astigmatism in let eye. Vision in left eye is worse from examination. Just trying to figure out what would cause this sound. Only happens if I push on it lightly.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is very interesting........can you feel anything with this popping sound or do you notice any surface abnormalities in this area?

Customer:

No. Everything else feels normal and I don't have any pain. I do experience some slight blurryness in the same eye, but not to the point where I can't see. I did notice some stinging just out side of my eye when I sweat, something like a scratch. If I check my eyes by opening one at a time I can see out of both, just a little better out of the right.

Dr. Rick :

Well. I don't think that this is in anyway related to the slight decreased vision in that eye. What could it be? Maybe some small plugged gland or suQ benign bump that is rubbing against the bone. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

However, if you were worried I would see an internist, have her feel around the area and, if indicated, consider some type of imaging study such as an MRI.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

As I mentioned, I don't see anything physically abnormal with the eye, it has only been going on for the last couple of days. l know I need to get new glasses for the prgressive lenses and do alot of computer work which may be putting excess stress on my eyes. I did have a sinus infection about a month and a half ago on that left side in which the doctor ordered a MRI from my neck and up to the ear area in which nothing was detected. I'm not sure if there are any home remedies you might suggest, and I have a appointment with my eye doctor again tomorrow. As mentioned, the blurring is slight on the one side.

Dr. Rick :

Anything of significance should have been picked up on the MRI that went up to the level of your ears. It very well may be related to your recent sinus issues.

Dr. Rick :

One home remedy that you might try is warm compresses and cleaning your eyelids with baby shampoo. This would unplug any glands that may be contributing.

Dr. Rick :

. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

Other then that I think you best bet for getting to the bottom of this issue is tomorrow in person with your ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can add....

Customer:

Warm compresses such as a heating pad? I will also pick up the shampoo and give this a shot to see if it helps.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Drop me a line when you find out what is causing your symptoms....I'd be interested to know. Thanks for letting me help you today. Have a good weekend.