Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

eyes that i could still see when eye s shut , i took some deep breaths

i have just had a semi circle of flashin lights in both of eyes that i could still see when eye s shut , i took some deep breaths like i read and it s seem s to have worked , what happen to me was very scary
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from an ocular migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer....or the chat system is acting up.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you about this condition.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can u see those lights with eye s shut like i did , i have never had amigraine before but i do have a headache
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Yes. That is because the images are coming from the visual cortex of your brain and not your eyes themselves. Like I said above, this is nothing to be afraid of. I, personally, have had them off and on for 25 years and am still kicking :)