Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

what can I do for a large blood clot in outside corner of my

what can I do for a large blood clot in outside corner of my eye. started about 2 days ago. now eye is a little sore. take a baby aspirin every day, should I stop. going on a cruise in the morning!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Tell me more about this blood clot. Did you have any pain associated with it or did you just notice it in the mirror or have it pointed out by someone else?

Dr. Rick :

Where are you going on the cruise?

two days ago I noticed a red area. no pain. now it is a little tender and much larger. seems to be pertruding a little

Eastern caribbean

Dr. Rick :

Well. The best thing would be for you to cancel the cruise. I will

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

come and take the tickets off your hands so they don't go to waste........just kidding :)

you hit the accept button......
I'm still here.
There is nothing to worry about. You are OK to keep taking your aspirin and go on your cruise. Just tell everyone who asks what happened that the other guy looks a lot worse :)
You hit the accept button in the middle of my answer.....but, hey, that's OK. My girls all need new shoes LOL!

Is there anything else I can answer for you tonight before you head off on a wonderful trip to warm, sunny waters?
I see you are still online but I don't know if you can see what I am typing. Let me know if you have any further questions. If not, have a great time!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, I'm a novice at this tech stuff.
Thank you for your advice. I wish I could give you my tickets.....NOT! Just kidding. Thanks for the humor too, it helped. Can I put warm compresses on it for comfort?
Sure. It won't hurt and it will give you something to do while you play with those little umbrella's that come in the drinks on deck ;)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I hear those umbrella's calling me :)
Pictures won't turn out too good though, will they...
That is why photoshop was invented.......
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you're right! I think I can go to sleep now knowing I'm not going to go blind!

I've had many problem with this eye. Cateract surgery in 2007, torn retina 2008. Not many broken vessels since all that and never one this big. Just got a little worried.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's me again...there is a bubble like place sticking out from the white part of my eye. Is that anything to worry about or will it go down.
That should go down as the blood slowly reabsorbs.