Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I had my eyes examined a few months ago and the DR. said my

I had my eyes examined a few months ago and the DR. said my eyes are fine. The pressures are tears or growths or any abnormality at all. I have floaters and see transparent spaghetti like images when I look at something light. He explained what this was as part of the aging process that most people don't notice. Lucky me...I notice every little change! I also have images stick after I look at something. If I look at the TV, then look away, I can still see the last image. When I look at blinds and l look away I still see the lines of the blinds. I was told this is also part of the aging process, but it's driving me nuts. It takes longer to focus because of it. I'm only 52, should these things be happening so soon, and is there something I can do to get rid of the shadow stuff?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

And, no, there is really nothing you can do to get rid of the floaters. Well, yes. You could have a vitrectomy (a major eye surgery) but the risks are not worth it.....not even close.

Dr. Rick :

As far as the after images? Really nothing to do there, other then don't look at the tv or the blinds so hard. I'm not trying to be's just that there really isn't any good treatment for this stuff.

Dr. Rick :

Since you've lived longer then 40 years, you are gonna have problems focusing on near objects. Use readers or bifocals.

Dr. Rick :

If you are still having a lot of problems I suggest you have a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist to make sure that there are no treatable conditions contributing to your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't have flashes of light. What happens is that I look at something and the image is still there when I look away. My eye doctor looked into my eye and could see every vein,and tne macular. There were no tears or holes that he could see.

I already wear transitional bi-focals.

So, this is something I have to just get used to?

I know. The handout I gave you just covered all the topics on the floaters. The after images that you are experiencing are a normal function of the way that the retina and brain process images.

Take home answer? Ya. I'm afraid you are going to have to get used to most of that stuff. I wish I had a better answer for you.....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOL....I was hoping you were going to tell me I was dehydrated or something! Thanks Dr. Rick.
My pleasure :)