Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My grandson was diagnosed w/peri optical cellulitis on Tues.

My grandson was diagnosed w/peri optical cellulitis on Tues. He was given an antibiotic. He was seen again on Fri as his eye was still shut. He has no pain at all and the eye, itself, is not affected. Thecantibiotic was changed to Augmentin. How long does this take to resolve?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What type of doctor is managing your grandson pre-septal cellulitis?

Dr. Rick :

If your grandson has not been examined by an ophthalmologist to make sure that the globe and orbit is not involved one should be consulted ASAP, especially since the eyelids are swollen closed.

Dr. Rick :

The usual bugs causing preseptal cellulitis in otherwise healthy children ( no sinus infection etc) are usually susceptible to Augmentin and, as such, this is a good empiric antibiotic choice.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer: It's only one eye. He was seen by a Pediatrician and not an opht
Customer: Ophthalogist.
Dr. Rick :

His eye should be checked by an ophthalmologist.....I don't believe that a pediatrician can do an adequate assessment in this situation.

Dr. Rick :

However, if he improves within 48 hours of starting the augementin, everything should be OK. If not I would suggest inpatient treatment with IV antibiotics and possibly a CT or MRI of the orbits..along with the eye consult.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer: Yes. Can we use warm compresses or benedrty for itching?
Dr. Rick :

Yes to both.....

Customer: Ok. thanks so much!
Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope your grandson feels better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.