Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I live in Ketchikan AK and am 67 yr old female in great health

I live in Ketchikan AK and am 67 yr old female in great health except for my eyes. I have what they say is open angle glaucoma. I have cataracts in both eyes. My left eye is not too bad so they don't need to do it now. My right eye has a multifocal lens which has been done a year ago. Many awful side effects and would never recommend any one getting that lens. I also have had glaucoma for several years. For quite a while I was on Lumigan with not many bad side effects. But in the last year my eyes have been swollen (feeling swollen) bloodshot, and altogether driving me crazy. On the drops, they have tried me on the two other in the same family as Lumigan. I am on Xalatan now. I get a tingly feeling across both eyes and even the eyes seem like tingly. Very hard sensation to explain but awful to live with. They first diagnosed my glaucoma because my optic nerve was larger than normal but the pressures were not real high. My doctor here in Ketchikan is a D OD and he had me try not using the drops for 4 days and see if symptoms cleared. Most all did. I was much less aware of my eyes 24/7.He told me to go back on the drops and see what happened. Just on the drops for 2 days now and my eyes are back to the way they were and so I got on the computer and started a search to see what I could do. Long for just a question. But my OD said the surgery has bad side effects and doesn't recommend it. I am nervous about another surgery but I am desperate to solve this problem. Is surgery a safe viable option? How do you know if a surgeon for the eyes is good? The only kind of doctor in Ketchikan is a D OD, no physicians for eyes and definitely no surgeons. So we have to travel to Seattle. I had my cataracts done in my hometown in Ohio by Dr Martin at Optivue center for eyes in that area.
Submitted: 3 years ago via Glaucoma Research Foundation.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Is Juno closer the Seattle to you?

Dr. Rick :

Xalatan, and the drops like it, are excellent for lowering your eye pressure and have no significant systemic side effects. Is there any possibility that you could learn to live with this tingly feeling knowing that your vision will be preserved?

Customer:

It is not something I want to live with

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I can understand that. As far a having glaucoma surgery so that you don't have to use drops....well, that is a good idea on the surface. The fact of the matter is that many patients, even after undergone a trabeculectomy need to take glaucoma drops to control their pressure. If you really can't stand the drops, however, then I guess you have no other choice then to go under the knife.

Dr. Rick :

Surgery is a viable option, given the limitations above. I do, however, agree with your optometrist -- any surgery, especially glaucoma surgery, is prone to complications. Some of these complications will be beyond the ability of your local optometrist to treat and will require another trip to your surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

Most any ophthalmologist will be able to safe do your surgery however, a glaucoma expert would be the most skilled at this type of work. There are many excellent eye surgeons in Seattle

Dr. Rick :

I personally know Dr. Richard Mills and would let him do glaucoma surgery on me or my family. He has recently returned to the seattle area and here is a link to his website:

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. Take care.