Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have had laser surgery for retina detachment with the gas

I have had laser surgery for retina detachment with the gas bubble and all. He said it reattached fine, but now after my last check up he says there is still fluid there. He tells me it can go either way to go away itself or if not I will have to have another surgery with a surgical team. Sounds bad to me. Is there anything I can do to make the fluid go away. He has me worried. And the whole laser thing was horrible. What are the chances this fluid will be gone in a week when I see him again?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Did he say if your retina is now attached, and only has an area of fluid or did it sound like there is an area of persistent detachment

Customer:

I had laser surgery for retina detachement with the gas bubbles and all. he said it re attached fine, but after another week I went back and he said there is still fluid there. Not any more but not less, so if it is still there in another week, i will need surgery again with a surgical team? What can I do to avoid this?

Customer:

They did another round of laser on me a week after to the area next to the detachment

Dr. Rick :

I would expect that if you had laser and then a gas bubble injected into your eye in the office or office minor procedure room that your retinal hole/tear was located superiorly in your eye. Do you know if this was indeed the case?

Customer:

he didn't use that term "superiorly". It was found during my routine eye exam and that doc sent me to the retina center. It was a 10% tear. And they made me go in that night for the laser and gas bubble.

Dr. Rick :

Did you have to lay face down with the bubble in your eye or was it OK for to be upright?

Customer:

I had to lay on my left side for 7 days

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Now I know where your tear/hole was. He used SF6 gas.

Customer:

I don't know what kind of gas he used. But the whole thing was horrible. I did everything he told me and I am upset about the fluid.

Dr. Rick :

The fluid is not your or your ophthalmologists fault. It just happens.

Customer:

But if it doesn't go away, he said I need surgery with team. Can I do anything to make it go away?

Dr. Rick :

In cases such as yours where the hole/tear remains open after laser and office gas injection due to persistent subretinal fluid the next thing I usually do is a scleral buckle with or without sclerotomy to drain the fluid. Also, while you are asleep I put more laser around the hole or use cryotherapy to seal it. Usually people like to be under general anesthesia for this but it can be done under local/monitored anesthesia care

Dr. Rick :

There is really nothing you can do to make it go away. That is totally dependent on the tissues in your eyeball and the hole being sealed.

Customer:

So I will be put to sleep for it? The hardest part is watching what he did and being stressed and in pain the whole time.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, you can be put to sleep for it, as long as you are healthy enough that the anesthesiologist feels you can tolerate it.....and the vast, vast majority of people can. I've seen some really unhealthy folks put under general anesthesia without problems.

Customer:

What is the recovery and recovery time on this? I have 3 kids. Its real hard for me to be down.

Dr. Rick :

This is the type of work I do all day......

Dr. Rick :

That depends. How old are the kids?

Customer:

5 to 15. My mother will stay with me. But will I have to lay like last time for a week or so?

Dr. Rick :

Your glasses Rx will change after the surgery and your vision will be blurry for awhile. You will get a cataract, mostly from the gas injection you already had

Dr. Rick :

No. You should not have to be in any special position, of course this depends upon what surgery your retina doc chooses to do. With the scleral buckle I mentioned above no special post op positioning is necessary

Customer:

So how long before I get a cataract? Or is there stronger possibility I will get another tear?

Dr. Rick :

The cataract will happen. How long? That varies, but it will most likely start within a year of the gas injection. Did the retina doc mention that before putting the gas in your eye?

Dr. Rick :

The scleral buckle will greatly reduce your chance of another tear/hole

Customer:

It was listed as a possibility. I'm only 37. Can I avoid a cataract by using Isotine eye drops?

Dr. Rick :

Of course there are other surgical options that your doc may want to do based on the morphology of your retinal pathology.

Dr. Rick :

no. Don't waste your time or mone.

Dr. Rick :

mone.

Dr. Rick :

can't get the "Y" in there :)

Dr. Rick :

However, the cataract is not a possibility after the gas injection....it will happen. Sometimes in a year, sometimes in a decade. But it happens.

Customer:

Ok, I just feel to young to have such problems. I can deal with any other part of my body being cut but not anywhere on my face. Cataracts are fixable to?

Dr. Rick :

Very fixable. That is, compared to what you are going through now, really easy. In the long term, if the retina issue can be fixed and your macula (the center of your vision) kept healthy, everything will work out just fine in the long run.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in good hands. If you had come to my retina practice I don't think I would have done anything different at this point.

Customer:

Ok, thanks. I feel a little better. Just want to be able to "see" my kids grow up. I'm already deaf in my right ear, I don't want to be a Hellen Keller.

Dr. Rick :

True. But I've read that Helen was a happy person during her lifetime. We should all be so strong.

Customer:

Thats right. Thank You

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Good luck to you. Take care

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if I can do anything else to help you during this difficult time.