Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My mother has multiple myeloma and amyloidisis - was diagnosed

Customer Question

My mother has multiple myeloma and amyloidisis - was diagnosed 18 months ago. She just recently started experiencing double vision and her eyes are very sore/tender at the end of a day. She also has cataracts and has been told she needs to have the cataracts removed; she is passing the double vision off as a result of her cataracts and up to now has been unwilling to explore other causes of the double vision. Can you provide some insight/thoughts as to what this might be, or suggestions as to how we (as her family) can best proceed? Thank you. Debbie Anderson
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

hi

Dr. Rick :

When she closes one eye, does the double vision go away?

Customer:

No

Dr. Rick :

So. This is an important point and I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You mother has double vision with both eyes open. When she then closes one eye, the double vision does NOT go away. Correct?

Customer:

Correct - she said when she closes one eye "it doesn't help much"

Dr. Rick :

Which eye, when open, has the double vision?

Customer:

She wasn't specific - and isn't here for me to ask.

Customer:

I am guessing that she would have closed her right eye, as that is pretty much her tendency.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. The causes of double vision with one eye closed are very, very different then the causes of double vision with both eyes open, that then goes away with closing one eye. If she, indeed, had multiple images with one eye open, it is important to learn in what eye this is happening in and ask more about the status of that eye. Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible to get more specific information from your mother?

Customer:

Yes, what you say makes sense. I can get more specific information, but not at this time (she is sleeping and I do not want to wake her up.)

Dr. Rick :

I understand. How about if we just put this question on hold until she wakes up and then we can get back at it. I should be around the computer most of the day today. Will that work for you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes our chat system has gremlins and stops sending messages back and forth. I"m not sure if you can still see my messages. If I don't hear back in a few moments I'll switch to Q&A mode and then we can continue to work on this question when your mom is awake. Q&A mode is slower then chat -- you have to reload the page after sending/receiving a message, but it never goes on the fritz.

Customer:

Yes, I am still here (had to make a new pot of coffee.)

Customer:

I would like to put this on hold until Mom awakens. Thank you.

Customer:

My mother is up. She told me that she doesn't remember if there was a difference when she tried closing an eye. She also told me that she occasionally has to close her left eye to see more clearly.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm still here. Just drop me a note when your mom's awake and we can get back to work on your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I got you message about the coffee :)

We are now in the Q&A mode. Just drop me a note when your mother is up and about and we'll get back to work.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hm.....wonder if what she is experiencing is not actually double vision but a ghost image from her left eye. Does this seem plausible? If this were the case she would notice that looking out of the left eye only is worse then looking out of the right eye only and looking out of both eyes at once.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm still here to work on your mom's issue.....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am still here, trying to get back with you!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
we keep missing each other :(