Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Are there different types of toric astigmatism implant len

Are there different types of toric astigmatism implant lenses?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are two brands of toric intraocular lenes available for us in the United States, the first one that was approved by the FDA is called the Staar surgical IOL. There are two models of this lens available, one which corrects up to 2.00 diopters of astigmatism and another that corrects p to 3.50 diopters. If you have more astigmatism (this only applies to CORNEAL astigmatism, not astigmatism caused by your natural lens -- which will be removed by the cataract surgery) then this other procedures would have to be done to address it, such as limbal relaxing incisions.

Dr. Rick :

the other approved lens is called Acrysof IQ Toric IOL. It can correct between 1.50 and 3.00 diopters of astigmatism. This lens is also available in blue and UV light filtering models, although the benefit of filtering these wavelengths has not been proven to be of any benifit.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?