Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Via MRI I was diagnosed with cervical herniations of C3, C4

Via MRI I was diagnosed with cervical herniations of C3, C4 in 2006. I see a chiropractor regularly. I have gone the gammet of severe neck pain, migraine headaches and loss of feeling in my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers on both hands. Those are gone! I have no pain now, but I AM SEEING ELECTRICAL SQUIGGLES and odd shaped objects when I move my head left to right or right to left. My MRI showed pressure on spinal column.

COULD THIS BE CAUSING VISUAL PROBLEMS? CAN ANYTHING OTHER THAN SURGERY BE DONE IF THAT IS THE CASE? COULD I LOSE MY EYESIGHT ENTIRELY? I have insurance but "EXCLUSIONS" on anything that has to do with my cervical spine and I am jobless.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.....

Thank you,
Sheila
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are these squiggles in both eyes? How long do they last? Are these odd shaped objects in both eyes and do they seem to be related to the electric squiggles?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

I am here...

Customer:

The squiggles are are generally in both eyes but more in the left eye. I see them only when I move my head...

Customer:

If I move my head left and right

Customer:

Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

yes

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Rick :

Did you see my request for more details above?

Customer:

First of all, I cannot receive your response on my email..

Customer:

It will not open

Customer:

Second, you asked about the objects I'm seeing,,,and if they are constant...

Dr. Rick :

sorry about that. If you could send a note to the moderator perhaps they could suggest a way to fix that....at least this chat seems to be working now...

Dr. Rick :

that is correct.

Customer:

Can you tell me what your email said?

Dr. Rick :

It only would have said what you can read above....the questions about what you are seeing

Customer:

I am seeing like electric flashes when I move my head...left to right

Customer:

...not when head is still

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you may be experiencing a posterior vitreous detachement

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Would those be constant...or only when I move my head?

Dr. Rick :

The flashes would usually come with movement. The floaters, on the other hand would not necessarily be linked to any movement but would move around kinda random like

Customer:

ok thank you!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Have a great day :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k