Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive been doing some research on reducing cataracts. For years

I've been doing some research on reducing cataracts. For years (10+) in Russia and elsewhere cataracts have been treated with N-acetylcanosine. What can you tell me about its effectiveness?

Although not FDA approved one of the ways it is for sale in US is by not having N-ace... an listed as an active ingredient. Maybe a good way to ask the question is Based on research does it seem to be utilized effectively outside the US for cataract reduction?

Thanks
Mark

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There have been no drug treatments found, using prospective, randomized, controlled studies, that have been effective in reducing cataract formation or eliminating cataracts once they have formed. I have heard about some of the studies you are referring to and, when the data are closely examined, the treatment effects have not held up.

Dr. Rick :

Since surgery is so successful in treating cataracts, with an excellent risk/benefit ratio, any other treatment has a steep hill to climb in order to be as safe and effective as this "gold standard"

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Welcome to the chat room.

Customer:

In terms of surgery option is there a significant difference between Phacoemulsification and extracapsular cataract extraction?

Dr. Rick :

Phaco is a form of extracapsular cataract extraction (ecce). In the "old fashioned" ECCE the lens is taken out in one large lump, like squeezing a seed out of a grape. This requires a large incision in the eye. In Phace, the lens is "ground up" with an ultrasonic needle and removed in small chunks. This allows a very small incision in the eye, hence faster healing and quicker vision recovery

Dr. Rick :

Phaco is the normal way cataracts are removed nowadays

Dr. Rick :

both old fashioned ECCE and phaco result in excellent post op vision, all other things being equal.

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with on this topic.