Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i have sudden pain in the eye. feels like grit. cant open the

i have sudden pain in the eye. feels like grit. cant open the eye. lasts about 2/3 mins.
happened 4 times this morning.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Has this happened before?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

have you ever been poked in that eye, say with someone's fingernail?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

So. Let me make sure I understand what is going on. You eye looks normal in the mirror and your vision is OK, however, when you woke up this morning you had a sudden pain, like something was in your eye, that lasted for a few minutes and then went away. This episode repeated itself about 4 times and, since this morning, things seem OK. Is this correct?

Customer:

correct

Customer:

and very painful

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your issue is something called recurrent corneal erosion. This is where the skin on your cornea, for lack of a better term, "sticks" to the dry inside of your eyelid and gets "tented" or pulled off the eyeball. The skin doesn't rip all the way off and cause an epithelial defect (which would be painful for a day or so) but just comes off enough to hurt like heck for a few minutes.

Customer:

and the solution ?

Dr. Rick :

What can you do? Before you go to bed, place some lubricating ointment in your eye (lacrilube is a good brand....ask the chemist to recommend a brand) and also use some tear replacement drops during the day

Customer:

ok - thank you dr rick. i'll try that

Dr. Rick :

This conditions rips the "velcro" that holds the skin on the front of your eye. These "Hooks" take a few weeks to regrow...so keep this up for a month or so.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can help you with this morning (or should I say afternoon on your side of the pond?)

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. Have a good day.