Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

tell if current symptoms are diabetic retinopathy or detached retina

How to tell if current symptoms are diabetic retinopathy or detached retina. How urgent is this? Symptoms match either/or (cobwebs; red blurry floater but not in center of visual field). Should I go to urgent care facility or wait until an opthmalogy appointment in about a week? Will the typical urgent care facility be able to "see" enough in my eye to answer this question? Can it wait till tomorrow when my primary optomotrist can see me?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you seen any flashes of light or a curtain coming across your visual field? Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine? How did this all start? Has it gotten worse, better or about the same since then?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

I'm his wife...yes I'm here. Started a week ago with cobwebs, then suddenly today a red blurry floater in the eye. He is diabetic, and up til about two years ago was seeing specialist. He did see some changes to indicate he was at beginning stages of diabetic retinopathy. Husband is not seeing the wavy distortions or loss of central visual field that he was told to look for.

Dr. Rick :

Hi

Dr. Rick :

Most likely he has had a vitreous hemorrhage due to diabetic retinopathy then. There is, however, no way to rule out a retinal tear or detachment without looking inside his eyeball.

Dr. Rick :

The regular MDs in the ER will be of no help and neither will an optometrist.

Customer:

yes, I understand. Concerned that he can't get in to see the specialist for about one week.

Dr. Rick :

If possible I would call the local emergency room and see if they have an ophthalmologist who can examine your husband. If not, I would make sure he refrains from any strenuous activity, sleep with his head elevated tonight and see an ophthalmologist first thing in the morning.

Dr. Rick :

If you call an ophthalmologist and tell them what has happened they will see him right away.

Customer:

anything else that might help in the mean-time? ice pack? medicines that we might have in the home available to us?

Customer:

No, his specialist said wait til Wednesday; it did not seem right to me to wait.

Dr. Rick :

nope. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do at home.

Dr. Rick :

Call that specialist and tell him that is BS and he needs to be seen tomorrow. If they can't see him find a new eye doc

Customer:

ok, will do. Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

You can say that the retina specialist on just answer said so :)

Customer:

I'm sure he will be impressed....he has a high opinion of himself from what I've seen.

Dr. Rick :

lol. Best of luck. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

OK, thanks much. bye

Dr. Rick :

bye