Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, My father just had a growth from his eye removed. The

My father just had a growth from his eye removed. The biopsy came back as it being a high level of cancer. The surgeon said he removed most of it, and the small part he did not remove he corterized. My question is if he has a cancerous growth on his eye, isn't largely possible he has cancer somewhere else in his body, maybe he head? Also, we don't go back to the eye doctor for 3 months to see if it has grown back. Isn't that a long time to wait? I'm very concerned about not taking more action sooner.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Kathleen
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Was it a squamous cell carcinoma?

Customer:

I honestly to remember exactly, but I think that is what he said

Dr. Rick :

That is the most common one...

Dr. Rick :

These cancers, because they are easy to see on the eyeball, are usually removed before they invade deep ocular structures or metastasize

Customer:

Do they grow quickly? That is the case with this one.

Dr. Rick :

Your dads eye doctor is correct.....in the vast majority of cases removing it and cauterizing the base is all that is needed for a complete cure

Dr. Rick :

They usually grow to a point where they are noticed, rather then being something that pops up in a few months

Customer:

Okay...what are the chances he has cancer elsewhere in his body? Would this be an indication we should be checking other areas?

Dr. Rick :

Not necessarily. These types of cancer are caused by exposure to the sun over the course of his lifetime. All other things being equal, there is no reason to believe just because he had this cancer on his eye that he would have other cancers hiding in his body

Dr. Rick :

It is not standard practice to do a metastatic total body workup in cases like your fathers

Customer:

Okay...thank you very much Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure.

Customer:

Okay...I won't worry then. I greatly appreciate you help.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest