Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have blurry vision and it seems there is a film over my eyes.

Customer Question

I have blurry vision and it seems there is a film over my eyes. I cannot see clearly when driving. I had cataract surgery in May & June of 2010. It was thought that I had dry eyes so I have tried a humidifier, Systane Ultra Lubricant eye drops, Lotemax prescription 2x/day, Soothe XP, Gen Teal Gel, Fresh Kote Lubricant eyedrops

I cannot see words on the computer clearly. I try to move my head around to see words, but the film is still there.

My vision tests show that I can see very well. I am worried that something might be going on that will cause vision loss. What cause the blurry vision and film over my eyes? What are the next steps that I should take?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. From what you're describing this sounds as though you may be suffering from posterior capsular opacification. This is a very common complication of cataract surgery that, thankfully, is quite easily taken care of.

The shell that held your cataract / lens was left behind in the eye when your cataract was removed. The artificial lens implant that was given to you in surgery was likely put in this shell. Around 30% of persons, though, can have the back portion of that shell that holds the lens implant start to get cloudy. It can cause difficulty reading, doing computer work, seeing objects in the distance clearly, and / or can cause difficulty with the vision in glare conditions (bright headlights at night or bright sunlight during the day).

I would recommend going to see your ophthalmologist and having your eyes dilated to determine if this is the case, and if it is not, then that exam should be able to reveal what is happening.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What specific question should I ask my doctor? It has been going on for a long time and I am ready for him to clear it up. He has dilated my eyes. Is this something (the shell getting cloudy) that would have been obvious? Do catarachs ever return. Is thhis a problem that will cause blindness?

While this is something that should easily have been seen on a dilated eye exam, often times what happens is there is a little of it happening when the doctor sees it, but it may not seem visually significant to the doctor at that time. Then over the next few months it worsens to the point that you are symptomatic. I would ask if there is any cloudiness to the shell that holds the lens implant and if not, ask if your glasses need to be changed because those are the two most likely suspects.

Cataracts never return but some people call this cloudiness to the shell that holds the lens implant a 'secondary cataract' because the symptoms are the same as primary cataracts.

This problem could lead to vision deterioration to the point of blindness, but this cloudiness is always treatable with a laser and as soon as that's done, the vision would be restored; it wouldn't lead to a permanent loss of vision.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does the laser clear out the shell? How does it get rid of the film?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much. How do I add an additional amount to the 22.00 I have already paid. You have been very helpful.

I think you can add that in the form of a bonus, which should be an option when you accept and/or close the question, or maybe even when you give feedback. It should be fairly easy to find, I think.

Thank you very much; that's kind of you. Good luck to you.