Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

eye doctor..retinal tumor..eye problems..sinus cavities are full

My son is 11 and the eye doctor found swelling or a retinal tumor can you tell me what may be causing this and do I need to be worried...He started with eye problems ab out 2 to 3 weeks ago but also has nose bleeds and a major sinus infection the sinus cavities are full of puss and infection could this be a contributor to what is happening?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was your son examined by and optometrist or an ophthalmologist? How is his vision in the affected eye? What has his pediatrician found about his bleeding issues and sinus infection?

Customer:

ophthamologist and he is sending him to a retinal doctor...my son says that the eye looks like it has a black do on it. I took him to an ENT for his nose and sinuses he put himon an antibiotic did a ct scan and coterized one side of his nose and wants to see him back at the end of the month...he said his sinus cavities were full of infection

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina doctor. Do you have any more information about this retinal mass? Does your son's eye look normal on the outside? Where is this black dot in his visual field and is it causing him to loose vision?

Customer:

the eye does look normal on the outside at least to me yes it is causing vision problems and he sadi it is right where he needs to see...as for the mass I have no info on it the Dr said not to worry when we didn't know if we needed to. At one time he called it swelling put when i recieved the paper work to take to the receptionist it had written tumor...he is going to a specialist tomorrow but not knowing anything is killing me!

Dr. Rick :

Being a parent myself I know what you are feeling. Swelling, as you know, is a lot different then a mass/tumor. I would very much doubt it is related to his sinus infection (extension of the infection inside the eyeball by either direct extension or spreading from the bloodstream) as there would be signs of inflammation etc and he would have sent you right over to the retina doc.

Dr. Rick :

I would expect that the general ophthalmologist didn't have the equipment to do B scan, angiogram etc. The fact that you will be seeing the retina doctor tomorrow, however, means that your son's ophthalmologist personally asked the retina doctor to see you right away.

Customer:

Sorry I really don't understand what you are trying to tell me...I do realize there is a difference between swellling and a tumor/mass but I felt as if I were getting mixed signals from him on what was going on. My son is squinting and having the problems are causing some headaches not all the time just when he has to do homework or read small writing etc...

Dr. Rick :

I guess what I'm trying to say is that waiting to see the retina doc tomorrow will not adversely affect the final outcome. It will, of course, drive you crazy -- as it would any mom.

Dr. Rick :

The ophthalmologist was correct. There is no reason to start to ask "what if" until you have more information about what "it" is. If your son was here in my office I could, most likely, tell you. Online? Not so much. There are a number of things that can cause a mass inside the eye of a 11 year old child. Some of them really bad, some of them not so bad, some of them no problem at all. A complete exam tomorrow will tell which one you are dealing with.

Dr. Rick :

If you would like I would be happy to review the findings from the retina doc with you and help you make sense of what you are dealing with.

Customer:

If caught in time can the problems from bad to not bad be treated...and thank you I may very well take you up on your offer!

Dr. Rick :

If you could get more info from the ophthalmologists exam I could possibly narrow things down for you. Does this make sense?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, they can. It is always better to catch retina problems sooner rather then later, so you are on the right path

Customer:

Yes it does, but like I said he was sending mixed signals and when I tried to talk to him about it he just told me not to worry...easier said than done!

Dr. Rick :

you can contact me on this site by requesting me. You can also upload documents, scans and test results for me to review.

Dr. Rick :

Ya right. Don't worry. Good luck. You know, you may be getting mixed signals from the ophthalmologist because this retina thing is out of his area of expertise -- that's why Retina docs were invented. I don't do cataracts and he doesn't do retina.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your time and patience with me and I hope all goes well tomorrowI just needed to talk to someone who wouldn't say just take a deep breath and don't worry about it !

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I would be very happy to assist you as you move along the path of dealing with this retina thing in your son's eye. I'm online most days between patients, during lunch (Central time) and, sometimes, in the evening. Take care. DO worry but don't drive yourself nuts over this.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can add to our discussion today?

Customer:

No but Thank you once again, and Thank you for not acting like I am just an overprotective parent with an overactive imagination!

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest