Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My right eye has been red and throbbing for 6 days. First I

My right eye has been red and throbbing for 6 days. First I tried 'Brolene' drops and then 3 days of Chloramphenicol but so far no improvement. Please can you help me, Sharon

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I did not answer the question or accept an answer

I'm available to help you with your problem. Have you been seeing halos around lights in that eye or has that eye suffered from significantly decreased vision?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No

Have you had any exposure to flying debris, had any eye trauma (even if seemingly inconsequential like a finger nail scratch or twig scratching the eye, or significant eye rubbing)?

Has there been any significant sensitivity to light?

Do you have any medical problems like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease or other autoimmune diseases?

Is the eye red in one particular quadrant and is this redness confluent or is it lines of redness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think there is debris or trauma but I'm not certain. No sensitivity to light. No medical problems. The eye is red in the lower right quadrant and it is confluent

Sorry for so many questions, but without being able to examine your eyes, my ability to diagnose these problems is entirely dependent on the history you can give me. Just a couple of more questions and then I should be able to let you know what's going on here and what to do about it?

Do you take any of the following medicines or similar medicines: ibuprofen, aspirin, vitamin E, garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba or other blood thinners?

Prior to the onset of this, did you have any sneezing or coughing episodes, or strain against a load such as lifting a heavy object or straining against a hard bowel movement?

How bad is the throbbing on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst pain you've ever experienced in your life)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do take Vitamin E. No straining incidents. Throbbing 2/3
It sounds like what you experienced is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This essentially amounts to a bruise on the eye, except on the eye the tissue that the blood is underneath is transparent so you see the blood exactly the color it is, versus a bruise on your arm which is hiding beneath layers of skin.

There are things that can predispose to getting these hemorrhages. Taking aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn can thin the blood and predispose to these. Also taking garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba and vitamin E can also thin the blood and predispose to getting these. In your case it is likely the vitamin E you're taking that can thin the blood and predisposed you to this.

Also when there is significant pressure being generated in the eye or head, this can happen from that. Examples of this include eye rubbing, sneezing, coughing, lifting a heavy load or straining against a bowel movement.

If you begin having multiple episodes of this then I would suggest stopping the vitamin E for a time to see if that clears up the problem. If not, then it could be a sign of a bleeding problem and should be checked out by your primary care doctor.

In the meantime, for the eye discomfort, cool compresses and/or artificial tears can help alleviate your symptoms. As long as there has been no prior eye surgery or trauma, however, there is usually little cause for concern.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.