Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My 19 year-old daughter is in American on a school program

Customer Question

My 19 year-old daughter is in American on a school program in Vietnam. Last night she experienced slightly blurry vision in her left eye and this morning (It's morning in Vietnam) woke up with the same thing plus a headache above her left eyebrow. She is able to function but is mostly scared and would like reassurance. How common is this? What are the chances of it being something bad? I believe she is in the Mekong Delta now and am not sure how close she is to a first rate medical doctor...
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

hi

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any more information about her condition?

Customer:

No more than what I told you but I could probably get more if I knew what questions to ask. I can text her

Dr. Rick :

texting will work.....ask her these things:

Dr. Rick :

Is her eye red or painful? Does she remember hitting/hurting/falling asleep at the desk on that eye? Are her pupils equal in size? Is there any swelling etc around the orbit?

Dr. Rick :

also, is she seeing any flashes of light or floaters?

Dr. Rick :

I'll stand by

Dr. Rick :

You can answer this one: Does she wear contacts?

Customer:

OK thanks. How long can you wait? I am not sure if she will answer right away but let's try.

Dr. Rick :

It's 7:30 pm where I am at....I don't have anything planned tonight except to go over the charts for tomorrows surgery. So, until 10 pm or so?

Customer:

Actually she can talk. Just wait a bit.

Dr. Rick :

k

Dr. Rick :

also ask her if it hurts to look at a light with that eye

Customer:

no

Customer:

I was answering your question about contact. Just wait and i will fill you in

Customer:

8:27 PM

Customer:

Is her eye red or painful? No but she says it has been swollen a bit from time to time for the last few weeks. Does she remember hitting/hurting/falling asleep at the desk on that eye? Are her pupils equal in size? Is there any swelling etc around the orbit?

8:27 PM

Dr. Rick :

Ok. No contact lens use. No real swelling of the orbit. The eye is not red or painful

Customer:

Is her eye red or painful? NO BUT IT HAS BEEN SWOLLEN A BIT FROM TIME TO TIME IN LAST FEW WEEKS (JUST A LITTLE) Does she remember hitting/hurting/falling asleep at the desk on that eye? NO Are her pupils equal in size?YES Is there any swelling etc around the orbit? NO BUT SWOLLEN A BIT ON OUTSIDE SOMETIMES BUT NOT RIGHT NOW.

8:27 PM

also, is she seeing any flashes of light or floaters? "MAYBE A FEW FLOATERS LAST NIGHT BUT HARD TO TELL

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is all good news.

Dr. Rick :

It is very possible that she is having a mild migraine headache. The other possibility is sinusitis. In either event it is not an ocular emergency -- which is a good thing when you are in the middle of the Mekong Delta

Dr. Rick :

a migraine would cause the blurry vision and the headache

Dr. Rick :

sinus issues would be much less likely to cause vision changes

Customer:

THANKS. XXXXX ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT SHE JUST HAD A COLD? ANY SUGGESTIONS? SHOULD SHE TAKE ADVIL?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it could be related to her recent cold. Advil would be fine.