Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

After cateract surgery, my prognosis is 20/20 in left eye,

After cateract surgery, my prognosis is 20/20 in left eye, 20/25 right eye. I normally do a lot of computer and reading. Is this prognosis good or should adjuest the right eye (primary eye)?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is very good prognosis for after cataract vision. You should have no problems doing all activities requiring excellent vision.

Customer:

I don't understand what 20/25 vision relates to. As I mentioned, most of my time is involved with computer work and reading without glasses. Should I ask to have my right eye adjusted to better see typed pages and computer screens? My right eye will be done in April.

Dr. Rick :

20/25 is one line up the chart from perfect 20/20 vision. When you have one eye set for distance and one eye set for near there is a trade off -- and the amount of trade off your surgeon is talking about is the smallest amount you have to give up from perfect to have near and far vision (monovision). The take home message is: You should be very happy with your vision at this level after surgery.

Dr. Rick :

If you are concerned you can change plans and have both eyes set for 20/20 distance vision and just use reading glasses for near tasks....

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, thank you for your opinion. Larry