Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Last summer I had dizziness and mild nausea for six weeks before

Last summer I had dizziness and mild nausea for six weeks before going to an optician. The doctor said I had to have either bifocals or progressives, but I could not stay with a regular lens. I got the second-best progressives, and they seemed fine. Now for the last six weeks I have dizziness and occasional nausea again. The skin around my eyes and my forehead feels tight. I thought it might be a number of things - diabetes, dehydration, poor diet, medications - all have been checked out, and the next thing apparently is a CT scan and a neurologist. I want to check everything else out first. If it is my glasses, could it make sense that I didn't have dizziness since I got them, but only the last six weeks? If it is the lenses, what alternatives do I have? I do have a "fishbowl" effect but I thought it was pretty minor. It is hard to tell if the problem goes away when I take the glasses off - sometimes it is there in bed, but then again that was also true last summer, which is why it took me so long then to figure it out. So 1. could it be the progressive lenses and 2. if so, what can I do? what are the alternatives? Thanks!

P.S. Besides bifocals, is Lasik an option? I have astigmatism, and the doctor said I would still need glasses. But I could afford it if I had to.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this an online chat? I've never done that on JustAnswer. What do I do?
Hi. Yup. Just chat like normal....
It is a little bit slower as messages are sent back and forth with some delay, but it works about the same
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Do you need more information about my question?
Let's start at the last part of your question. Yes. Lasik is an option but you would need to wear reading glasses unless you had one eye set for near vision and one set for far.

It doesn't sound like your glasses are the cause of your dizziness. Have you had a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I was going to ask this question before I made an appointment. Do you think that the glasses aren't the cause because the dizziness only started recently? which is what I was guessing. And if so, what might the ophthalmologist find that could be causing it?
That is correct. The ophthalmologist will do a complete eye exam, looking not only for refractive error changes, but eye muscle imbalance, eye pressure problems etc. I would see an ophthalmologist before going to a neurologist.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Do you think there's any urgency about getting the appointment? Usually the specialists in my health plan are backed out a month or two. (I hate to think of this continuing while I wait...)
That seems like a long time for you to suffer from dizziness and mild nausea. I'd try to get in quicker if for no other reason then to get to the bottom of how you feel. Push come to shove, however, it doesn't sound like this is an emergency from what you have told me.

Does this make sense to you?