Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

ocmpaling that it hurts when he moves his left eye...is this a problem

My son has had flu like symptoms since Saturday...today he seems to be worse and he is ocmpaling that it hurts when he moves his left eye...is this a problem or just a symptom of being sick??

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thanks for taking my question. Just wanting to make sure that this is just a symptom of the flu...just one eye hurts only when he moves it...

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

Does his eye look normal to you?

Customer:

Red and blood shot...but both eyes are red

Dr. Rick :

In kids, even teenagers, it is possible for sinus problems from the flu to extend into the orbit. If this happens it is important to get it treated. How sick does your son seem to be? Sick enough to keep him away from his favorite computer game or hanging out with his friends?

Customer:

He missed school today...which for him is like not playing video games...only misses if he can't stand to go...looks liek he will miss again tomorrow...has fever again and head ache..pretty much been in bed all day.

Dr. Rick :

ya. I understand. It would probably be best to get him into an ophthalmologist tomorrow for a complete exam. If he is that ill, as a parent myself, I would feel better having this checked out. It may turn out to be just some viral inflammation of the optic nerve or orbit but better safe then sorry......

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help...sounds liek we'll get in in the morning..hate to overreact but under-reacting can be worse! Have a great night.

Customer:

Will now accept thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Ya...that is one of the big issues with being a parent :) Best of luck to you and I hope your son feels better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

goodnight

k