Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i was told by my optometrist that i have a muscle imbalance

i was told by my optometrist that i have a muscle imbalance in my eyes. My eyes were examined (with drops) and my retina's are both fine-no problem except slight farsightedness (i need glasses for reading). i don't seem to focus well as my eyes aren't seeing the same thing at the same time. When a prism was placed on my left eye, things straightened out.
this just happened all of a sudden. I am 60 years old and never had problems with my eyes but have been using glasses for reading for 10 years.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been experiencing double vision prior to this exam?

Customer:

i wouldn't call it double vision but i went for an exam because i thought there was something wrong with my eyes. As stated, he found nothing wrong with my eyes but noticed i had a muscular imbalance when he gave me a test of aligning up two lights

Dr. Rick :

Did he do any kind of workup or offer a reason why this should all of a sudden be happening or was he OK with prescribing glasses to solve this issue?

Customer:

he wouldn't prescribe anything yet. he said i should probably see an optimologist

Dr. Rick :

A wise optometrist. They are a rare bird. You should hang onto this one.....

Customer:

do you have any idea what it could be or what could be done?

Dr. Rick :

He is correct. The sudden onset of painless strabismus in a person your age should be worked up.

Customer:

how serious could it be and is there anything i can do in the mean time? i can read ok and have no problem driving or walking. It's just up close stuff that seems ever so slightly off

Dr. Rick :

It may be something as simple as a broken down phoria or it could be something as serious as an orbital tumor. There are many causes between these two extremes and a complete eye exam and some simple tests (lab and/or imaging) by your ophthalmologist should be able to come to the bottom of things fairly quickly

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

There really is nothing for you to do right now. I would make an appointment with an ophthalmologist in the next week or so and have it checked out.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Have a great day.