Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My sister had catarac surgery both eyes a few years ago and

My sister had catarac surgery both eyes a few years ago and says her vision was very clear after the surgery, but through the 2-3 years since that she feels her vision has resorted to the same same as it was prior to the surgery. Does this often happen after catarac surgery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

hi

Customer:

My sister had cataract surgery both eyes a few years ago and says her vision was very clear after the surgery, but through the 2-3 years since that she feels her vision has resorted to the same as it was prior to the surgery. Does this often happen after cataract surgery?

Dr. Rick :

Yes it can. The most common cause is called a poster capsule opacity (pco)

Customer:

So, what can be done to make the vision better now?

Dr. Rick :

The artificial lens is placed in the capsular bag after your lens (cataract) is removed. This capsule, in a large number of patients, can become cloudy with time and cause a decrease in vision. Some patients say it is almost like their cataract has come back, or they complain of glare, problems reading, driving at night etc.

The good news about a PCO is that it can be easily diagnosed and treated in your ophthalmologists office -- no need for any further surgery or, many times, even a new eyeglass prescription.

How is it treated? Your eye is dilated just like it is for a routine eye exam. A drop of numbing medicine is placed in your eye and, in most cases, a special hand-held contact lens is placed on your eye. You are positioned at a slit lamp that has a laser attached to it and, using the laser, (YAG) the capsule is cut allowing a clear path for light to get to your retina again. The entire procedure takes less then 5 minutes. There is no "post-op" recovery time needed and you can expect good vision to return as soon as the drops wear off.....sometimes even sooner.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes, I'll have her contact her Opthamologist for this procedure. Thank you.