Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hi! i have seen an optometrist a few times and my family physician

hi! i have seen an optometrist a few times and my family physician just last week but no one seems to be able to help!

i've gone thru tobradex and vigamox 2x each plus oral antibiotics (augmentin) but my eye (left one) will not get better. i have been wearing contacts for over 20 years (i remove them every night and change them every 2 weeks). i've had off and on viral/bacterial infections in both eyes for the past few months. optometrist said i got a cold in my eye.

problems started a few months ago, while i was pregnant and got worse after i had my son.

main symptoms (now only in my left eye) are dryness, redness, watering and light sensitivity. also -- vision is slightly blurred (even w/glasses). i have stopped wearing contacts in the affected eye.

i am SOOOOO frustrated with this. indoor and outdoor light is too bright and eye goes from feeling dry and irritated to watery/red. all day.

what is this? my doctor checked me a few days ago and said she saw nothing wrong.

any ideas? thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

First off.....stop all the antibiotic eye drops.

Dr. Rick :

You should also stop wearing your contacts until things start to feel better.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Give this treatment at least 3 or 6 weeks to kick in, and if things aren

Dr. Rick :

't alot better see an ophthalmologist, not an optometrist, for a complete exam.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you.

Customer:

thanks for the info. i've stopped the eye drops for almost 2 weeks. just using rewetting drops periodically. when my eyes water, it is normal, clear tears -- nothing thick. could i still have blepharitis?

Customer:

i was planning to see an ophthalmologist, as the previous 2 doctors haven't been able to help.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, very much so. This is a very common problem that all those drops and oral antibiotics your GPand optom have been giving you won't treat.

Dr. Rick :

good idea :)

Customer:

does the blurry vision indicate there's still a virus or is that just inflammation?

Dr. Rick :

Most likely just the inflammation and the messed up tear film. Soothing natural tears, warm compresses and the lid scrubs will make things better....but it is not an instant fix.

Dr. Rick :

Optometrists are like Eagle Scouts. Tops in their troup, but still unable to hold a candle to a Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps -- an Ophthalmologist ;o)

Customer:

ok, i will give it a shot and try to be patient. admittedly, it will be hard, as this has been going on for quite some time. the blurry vision and the light sensitivity is difficult to live with (i'm a teacher).

Customer:

i hear you. probably should have gone to the Sgt. Major first... :)

Customer:

Can i still use the GenTeal gel drops? They make me a bit more comfortable.

Dr. Rick :

Did you hear about the mess we are having here in Wisconsin with our Gov?

Dr. Rick :

yes, those are good.

Dr. Rick :

Yup....but, as a Teacher, I bet you can learn for next time....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you this evening?

Dr. Rick :

guess you've signed off. Take care.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k