Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

This morning I noticed numerous small black dots, appearing

This morning I noticed numerous small black dots, appearing to be at three different "distances", one group very close, almost like looking through an automobile windshield after rain drops have dried, a second grouping having the appearance of very distinct tiny black circles with a perfect dot in the center, in sharp focus, and a third grouping that seems far away and sort of out of focus, looking almost like distant birds in flight.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

So, Dr. rick, do these seem to be the normal "floaters" that someone my age might experience?

Customer:

The thing that seemed most unusual was the perfect symmetry of the middle distance spots, a perfect tiny circle with a perfect tiny dot in the exact center.

Dr. Rick :

hi

Dr. Rick :

Yes, they seem like normal floaters, if there is such a thing

Customer:

I've notices the irregular shapes for years, things that I assumed were the result of little dust motes or other miniscule debris on the eyeball's surface.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

No flashes.

Dr. Rick :

Those things you were seeing in the past could very well be defects in the tear film, but what you are currently describing are consistent with a PVD

Customer:

OK, off to the ophthalmologist. Thanks!

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest