Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Have Excessive tearing in left eye. Have had 4 tear duct plugs

Have Excessive tearing in left eye. Have had 4 tear duct plugs inserted. confirmed dry eye condition, however, condition started suddenly about 1 yr. ago. Over the counter allergy txt does not work or help. excessive tearing effects vision, causing blurring and dbl vision. tearing also causes eye to itch. Only one  eye is affected.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Untreated blepharitis will make a dry eye condition much worse and more difficult to treat. Give the above treatment at least 4 weeks to "kick in" and if you are still noticing little or no improvement make an appointment to see a corneal specialist.

Dr. Rick :

You may want to bring your old records to the specialist so she can see what has already been tried and the outcome of any treatments/medicines.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just had recent ophthamology exam, where 4 permanent plugs were inserted. Tearing still persists. will try the eye wash as recommended, but why is this affecting only one eye.?
That is the million dollar question. Many time I have seen bilateral, similar amounts of blepharitis in patients who are only having problems in one eye. For lack of a better explanation I blame it on the spin of the Earth :o).