Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

eyes have small yellow growth causes pain in eye small headache,i take vicodin for nerve d

eyes have small yellow growth causes pain in eye small headache,i take vicodin for nerve damage from back surgrey .
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.

Hello there

can you tell me a bit more about this problem. First of all, where are the yellow growths particularly, on the eyeball ? both eyes ? on lid ? try to describe fully please. When did they start to appear and what type of pain are you having ? What have you tried to alleviate the pain ? Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they are on both eyes smaller on left eye,they are in the white area of the eye causeing ichy feeling.it started about two weeks ago.i only noticed today the bump like growth with yellow tint.the pain is in the eyeand small headache.

Hello there

the lesions you describe are referred to as pinguecula (pingueculum). They are a benign, common growth that we get as we age. It is not uncommon to see them early in life, even in the teens, but they become more noticeable and prominent as we age. They are thought to be from sun exposure, UV, etc. The discomfort can be releived using artificial tears or allergy drops, my favorite one being zaditor, which is over the counter. If this does not help and you find your eyes very bothersome, consult with an ophthalmologist for further advice. In rare instances, surgical removal is appropriate but typically using drops for irritation, allergy symptoms such as itching, tearing is sufficcient. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if this is true is this the reason the eye hurts and feels like pressure and will it go away?
In my experience, the symptoms one usually experiences from these things include foreign body sensation, irritation, scracthiness, itchyness and tearing. Pressure sensations and frank pain are uncommon and may represent other problems in the eyes. Pressure sensation can be a sign of high eye pressure and would need to have eye pressure measurements and ocular exam to diagnose. Eye pressure sensation can also be from needing glasses or a change in existing prescription. Pain in the eyes can be ocular in origin or from nearby sinuses. A trial of allergy drops may be OK but if the symptoms persist, I would suggest getting the eyes examined to determine exact cause, I hope this helps, Dr. Stevens