Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am 62 years old. Until May 2010 my eyes tested at 20/20 but

I am 62 years old. Until May 2010 my eyes tested at 20/20 but I used 1.25 dio readers for fine print. I just spent 1 year studying very hard 10+ hours a day. Last week my eyes tested at 20/40 and I was shocked. What is the likely prognosis? Am I likely suffering "eyestrain" from over use of the "readers" and if that is the case is my vision recoverable at my age? I am planning to see a regular eye clinic next week so I can have more complete tests & get prescription lenses. Question does a 60 year old eye recover from eyestrain and will constantly wearing prescription glasses further weaken my uncorrected vision?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Using your eyes will not cause a decrease in vision, nor will "eyestrain" cause your visual acuity to decrease

Dr. Rick :

also, using the readers will not cause eyestrain nor will wearing glasses further weaken your eyes. At your age I would have thought that +2.25 readers would be a better fit for you

Dr. Rick :

When you go in for an examination be sure to see an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist. This way you will get the best eye exam possible and be sure that there is no other, pathological, causes for your vision changes.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are typing but nothing is showing up on my screen. Can you see what I am typing to you?

Customer:

I was always a believer in "less is usually more" when in came to corrections or "why use a bazooka if a flyswatter is taking care of the problem"? In the course of my job I have to look at a considerable amount of printed matter and computer screen displays.

Dr. Rick :

I understand that....but stronger glasses don't mean weaker eyes....just means you need stronger glasses.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with your plan to see an ophthalmologist. It is quite possible that you are forming a slight cataract which has caused the decrease in your vision.

Dr. Rick :

Plus, as a guy, I can think of at least one good reason to use a bazooka rather then a flyswater: It's a heck of a lot more fun to shoot :)

Customer:

In addition to job related eye use, in march of 2010 I started a very intense professional training program. It involved lots of staring at fine print (through my reading glasses) and working out math problems, some times for hours at a time without a break. I first noticed something was changing with my vision when I found it harder to focus the distance of the class room after the detail work.

Customer:

Anyway shooting bazookas for fun is ok, I just would hate to suddenly have to use binoculars to find the refridgerator. I am not upset with the idea of wearing glasses, I guess that is what old people do. I just was shocked that things were suddenly changing.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your concern. The change, however, is not due in anyway to your extensive recent use of your eyes or the glasses you were or were not wearing at the time.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Time to head out see "The Adjustment Bureau" with the wife.....

Let me know if I can do anything else to help. Have a good weekend.