Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

Hi, my mum has a partially detached retina and she is abroad

Hi, my mum has a partially detached retina and she is abroad on holiday. She wants to fly back to the UK before getting it sorted out. Is it ok to fly with a partially detachd retina?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

the treatment for a retinal detachment is to undergo surgery as soon as possible for best vision results post operatively

Dr. PG :

if she has a partially detached retina, the detachment will become progressive as time goes and the post operative results will go down

Dr. PG :

during air travel because of the change in pressure, there are increased chances of further detachment of retina

Dr. PG :

Ideally she should be operated as soon as possible wherever she is at present

Dr. PG :

but if she wants to come to UK for surgery, then that should also be done as soon as possible and undergo surgery at the earliest

Dr. PG :

to prevent further detachment of retina she should avoid any strain like lifting anything heavy, sneezing, coughing etc

Dr. PG :

Hope this information helps