Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

have a swollen red eye lid sore to the touch in left corner

have a swollen red eye lid sore to the touch in left corner and started about a week ago and it happen about 2 or 3 years ago
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

This can start as just a general painful swelling of the lid without a distinct localized bump. Try the above treatment....it should help.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

i had this to happen about 2 or 3 years ago and because it was so swollen it took over a month to go away because and wind up having surgey an foud out it was a bad infection

Dr. Rick :

Yes, this can progress to the point where it needs to be drained by surgery. Try the above treatment and, hopefully, you can avoid that this time. :)

Customer:

ok why does this happen

Dr. Rick :

It is from the plugging up of a gland in your eyelid by the normal bacteria that live on your eyelid. There is nothing that you did or didn't do to cause it......it just happens.

Customer:

ok if for some reason it dont work what do i do

Dr. Rick :

Then you should have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist to see if anything else could be causing the issue or if a course of oral antibiotics is needed. I bet, however, that warm compresses and lid scrubs will help

Customer:

ok thank you bye

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest