Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been using Xalatan for 3 weeks and my IOP went from

I have been using Xalatan for 3 weeks and my IOP went from 24 to 19 in both eyes. My doctor said it is not good enough and wants the IOP to lower to 17. So, he is keeping me on Xalatan for another two months to see if it will lower the IOP to 17. I am hoping it will as I have no side effects from the drug. Does the IOP continue to decrease?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Xalatan is a great drug. One IOP reading really doesn't tell you what amount of pressure lowering you can expect from the drug.

Dr. Rick :

It is perfectly reasonable, since you have already experienced a 20% drop from your baseline IOP to wait another few months before adding a second medication

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm still here. Did what I say make sense? Is there anything else you would like to ask me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not want to add another drug. I want this one to work. So, there is a possibility the IOP will go lower?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Yes. There is a good chance that you will be able to get more IOP reduction by your next visit.