Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

What is the success rate (complete vision recovery) for macular

What is the success rate (complete vision recovery) for macular hole surgery from stages 1, 2 or 3? What is the normal time frame between stage 1 to stage 3? During a routine annual eye examination by an ophthamologist for a diabetic patient, would you expect detection of a macular hole?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First let me address the second part of your question. There is no set time for macular pucker/hole to progress from one stage to another.

Dr. Rick :

The success rate (success as you define it I would assume to mean restoration of vision) varies depending on many, many factors: How long the hole has been present, what caused the hole to form, any other retinal/ocular pathology present, if anatomical closure can be achieved, compliance with post op positioning etc.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, a general ophthalmologist would be expected to detect a macular hole during a complete eye examination.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please define stages 1, 2 and 3. What are the symptoms a person would experience during each stage? My wife noted a strange phenomenon when she covered her left eye at the suggestion by Dr. Oz during his TV show in October. She saw her general ophthalmologist in September and the doctor did not make any reference to a macular hole. She again saw the same doctor in November, describing the phenomenon. He said she had a macular hole. He referred her to a specialist whose diagnosis revealed a stage 3 macular hole. You can understand my concern why detection slipped from September to November. What was occurring at the stage 1 level. Early detection increases the rate of success. I want the world to know what is happening at stage 1 so early detection can be address.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Stage I is foveal detachment
Stage II is a full thickness hole less then 400 microns in size
Stage III is a full thickness hole greater then 400 microns in size that still has vitreous adhesion present
Stage IV is a full thickness hole with a complete vitreous detachment from the optic nerve and macula
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Here is a great article that answers your question in detail:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1224320-overview

Early macular hole can be difficult to diagnose even in the best of hands.....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest