Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have for years, off and on more on that off had a stringing,

I have for years, off and on more on that off had a stringing, white substance in my eye in the morning when it is at its worst. It clouds my eyes my left one more that the right. I can not see to read like I need to do. I am writing two books and need to be able to see.
It gets better durning the day and after I clean the eyes with my fingers to pull the stuff out. One day it will be gone and the next day back. It seems like it is what I eat but I went and had blood test done and I was allergic to eggs, soy, milk, sunflower nuts, and had a bactoral over lay in my bowels and so stopped eating sugar even fruit, except the green one Kiwi. I may eat that 3Xs a week. I had this before the new diet of not eating that in which I am allergic to. It is still here. I was in Africa for 5 years and did not have as much trouble with it as I do here in America. I got Malaria and died and God raised me up and I was flown into Wichita, Ks and all the time I was so sick I did not have this problem. Now that I am seemingly well I have it back.
Good luck
Beverley Estes XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to the chat room.

Dr. Rick :

Does the above make sense to yo?

Dr. Rick :

you?

Customer:

I will try your suggestion and see. It seems to get worse when i eat sometimes. I am keeping a record of every thing I eat. This morning when I ate it got much better. But I have noticed that I eat that same thing the next morning and it seems to get worse. I do not take any medications if I can find a natural way of dealing with any problem. I threw away my feather pillow as thought that might be the problem It seemed to help at first and after not using it for mo. it came back worse it seemed.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest