Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I suffered torn retinas in each eye within months..floaters..left eye

Customer Question

A few years ago I suffered torn retinas in each eye within months of each other. They were both treated successfully with lasers, although I still have a lot of floaters. Yesterday I suffered a hemorrhage behind my left eye and I am completely unable to see out of that eye. I have the following questions...

1) How is the hemorrhage related to my past retinal tears? Are they related?

2) The doctor said this could take months to clear up. How risky is the surgery to fix this and how well does it usually work?

3) Does the fact that my floaters never cleared up imply that the blood may not clear up either?

4) Does the fact that I had retinal tears in both eyes within months of each other mean that I'm at increased risk of having a second hemorrhage in my other eye, leaving me basically blind (without surgery)?

5) If I decide to wait to see if the left eye clears up, is it okay if I start driving by just relying on the vision in my right eye? (I'd start slowly to try to get used to it.)

Thanks!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi

Customer:

Hi. Do you need me to repeat it or do you have it? Also, may I ask...are you a retina specialist?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend 1 credit to view this question.
Spend 1 Credit and view all the answers to this question.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you're referring to the laser procedure after the torn retina, it was probably about three years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it was examined by a retina specialist. He did a sonogram and also examined me visually with an eyepiece of some sort. And I have no history at all of diabetes.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much for all the info. BotXXX XXne...would you recommend that I wait months to see what happens before I opt for surgery? I'm very hindered by this condition but maybe I'll get used to it? (Also, please note that the past episodes were tears, not detachments.)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
LOL...well said. How long can it potentially take for the blood to clear? I'm most concerned about the driving issue as my wife only drives very locally (don't ask). My retinologist advised me not to drive for weeks as he said it takes a long time to get used to the one-eye vision, but I'm thinking that may be a little too cautious. And it is a major hardship for us not to be able to get around. That's the main reason I'm tempted to consider the surgery.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And one last question...the inredibly blurred vision (it's really NON-vision) in my left eye when it's open is interfering with my vision in my right eye. Is there any reason I shouldn't block it with an eye patch? I think that would help. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again for all your help!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure. Have a good day.