Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

hello, My eyes are very red, feel very tired to the point

My eyes are very red, feel very tired to the point that my eyelids are very heavy.
My vision is blurry. I had a check up and was told my vision was fine and eyes were healthy.
right now my eyes are very red and i feel like they are burning a little bit.
what could be happening and what should I do?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from a couple of things. You may have a combination of allergies, dry eyes and blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had and acustic neuroma surgery about 4 years ago and when I cry I dont tear from the side of the surgery. Could that affect the dryiness of the eye? usually thats the side that I feel a lot of burning but both eyes are usually red.

Thanks for your response!

Yes, that could very much affect the dryness of that eye. If you eye continues to be dry after the above treatments you should talk to your ophthalmologist. If she finds evidence of damage to your cornea from the dryness that tear replacement drops, blepharitis treatment and punctal occlusion aren't fixing then she might want to consider a lateral tarsorrhaphy -- sewing the edges of your eyelids closed.