Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

seeing a red spot in the center of my vision field in the right

Customer Question

seeing a red spot in the center of my vision field in the right eye. Noticible i dark eviorments
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

are you present online?

Dr. PG :

there can be various causes of the spot that you are seeing in your eye-

Dr. PG :

it can be a floater. These are normally seen in older age. When the vitreous (thick jelly like fluid) gets separated form the retina, then floaters in teh form of spot/thread/ring can be seen. This usually moves with the movement of the eye. A floater is harmless

Dr. PG :

other possibility is a mild bleed in the vitreous humor, which can be seen in diabetic patients, trauma or due to a minor trauma to a blood vessel while the vitreous is getting separated from the retina. A bleed needs to be evaluated for the cause and treated accordingly

Dr. PG :

in cases of posterior uveitis (inflammation of the posterior part of eye), there might be presence of such spots seen in field of vision

Dr. PG :

rare causes are scotoma (obliteration of central part of vision) due to a problem of the optic nerve caused by pressure on it

Dr. PG :

I would recommend you to consult an Ophthalmologist for a detailed evaluation to rule out the above possibilities and to be treated if needed

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.