Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My eye feels like there is something in it and is burning

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.
There can be many reasons for an eye to be burning and feel like there is a foreign-body sensation. This can range from a viral conjunctivitis (usually follows an upper respiratory infection or exposure to someone with a cold or red eye) and can cause irritation, mattering, tearing, burning or sensitivity to light and these symptoms usually then spread to the other eye. Allergic conjunctivitis is usually distinguished by significant itching, but this can be associated with watering. 

I highly suspect that you have dry eyes with inflammation. If there is tearing associated with this, it is difficult to understand why the eyes may be dry when they tear: the tearing is a reflex in response to dry eyes that is not sufficient to hydrate the eyes as they need to.   
When there is inflammation in the eyes and/or eyelids, this is usually from what's called blepharitis, which is inflammation of the eyelids and glands in the eyelids. The eyelids are key players in making a layer of tears that coats the surface of your eyes called a tear film. The inflammation that is blepharitis keeps the eyelids from making that tear film as healthy as it needs to be and so the eyes dry out. Also because there is inflammation in the tears because of the blepharitis, there are bacteria pooling in your tear film. Often times an antibiotic +/- steroid drop or ointment is used to help kill the bacteria. This therapy is usually only used in a pulse fashion, to start out the treatment and then only used when there are flare-ups, not on a regular basis for most people. However, treating this with a steroid drop for a few days is not enough to treat this entire problem, it is usually just an adjunctive measure combined with the baseline treatment as I state below.

The baseline treatment for blepharitis and what I think you should start doing, is everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations (Sterilid or Ocusoft) or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water): you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working; often times combining this with the topical steroid helps to bring relief sooner. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use artificial tears one drop in each eye, 4x/day. After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also you may need an antibiotic/steroid combination medicine to help augment the therapy. If after 3 weeks of diligent treatment you are better, but not completely normal, you may need to see your eye doctor to assess for other causes of dry eyes, as blepharitis is only one cause of dry eye. Many times dry eye patients have more than one cause of dry eyes (Restasis is an excellent treatment for those people with dry eyes because they don't make enough of their own tears). Each cause of dry eyes needs to be appropriately treated for your symptoms to resolve.
If, after 2-3 weeks of doing this you see no improvement in your symptoms then I would suggest seeing your eye doctor as there may be inflammation that needs a steroid or antibiotic treatment to resolve.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i do not believe that this may be the answer. Some additional facts that may help mean something. When i wake in the morning it feels like something is poking me in the eye...sort of like an eyelash growing inward. Up til yesterday the pain subsided in an hour or less and i felt normal for the remainder of the day. This morning the pain subsided a bit but then continued throughout the day to get worse. It is not itchy and there is no discharge other than tears. If i spread the upper and lower lids apart with mu thumb and forefinger the pain subsides. it is really like something is sticking in there.

I spend a fair amount of time on construction sites. is it possible that some tiny fleck of metal or something has imbedded itself in the lid and the burning is a result? I did have it checked by an eye doctor and they could not find anything. Gave me some antibiotic ointment and sent me on my way. Said maybe there was something in there and now it is gone and maybe there is some infection. Sounds like an answer for lack of an answer. Any other suggestions??
Thank you for that additional information. You are certainly correct in that foreign bodies may be at the root of all of these problems. Additionally, when a person complains of this foreign-body sensation first thing in the morning and it feels like the lids are sticking to the eyeball, this could be a sign that there is something wring with the epithelium of the cornea. This is the top, outermost later of the cornea similar to the outer layer of the skin that sloughs off routinely. In these persons, the epithelial cells don't anchor themselves as they should to the underlying stroma or substance of the cornea. Thus us called recurrent erosion or abrasion syndrome. It can feel like, to some people with this problem, that someone has ripped their eyeball off the first thing in the morning. The kicker with this us that the epithelium characteristically heals itself so quickly that by the time the patient makes it to the eye doctor's office, the eye looks normal.

To that end, if this continues you may consider seeing a corneal specialist who can help treat this. Alternatively, you may consider treating this presumptively by using Muro 128 ointment in both eyes at night. This helps the epithelium anchor better.

Does that make sense?
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Makes sense. I will try this. Thanks.
You're welcome. Good luck and I'd be interested in hearing back from you to see how you're doing.