Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have been receiving treatment for ocular herpes for over

I have been receiving treatment for ocular herpes for over three years. I take a daily dose of Valtrex and a single drop of a steroid eye drop in my affected eye daily. My doctor has been monitoring me every few months and I haven't had any "activity" in my eye (as she refers to it) up until about a month ago when I was recovering from sinus surgery. My surgeon and my doctor were both aware of the fact that the surgery could trigger some "activity". My eye doctor examined me (1 month ago) and said there was some evidence that the virus had recently been there and could still be active. (We increased the eye drops to daily, had been every other day). I had been feeling a noticable fatigue and malaise and unfortunately even came down with another sinus infection.
I have two little neices with whom I am around frequently. I hold them, hug them and of course kiss them. They are adorable.One is three (she just started pre-school, and the other is 11 months old). My infant niece would have received her immunization for the chicken pox next month. She has just come down with the chicken pox (last week) and I am being blamed for the infection. My eye is not oozing, nor does it have any visible outbreak. My eye doctor could only see minor acitivity under her specialized equipment. Is it possible that I infected my niece or could her sister (who never had the chicken pox and has been immunized) have been a carrier (or anyone else for the matter) since she just began pre-school. There have been no known cases of any recent outbreaks of chicken pox at the preschool. As you can imagine, I feel awful. I would like to set my mind at ease. Or is this a case of "we may never know"?

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

are you present online?

Dr. PG :

What you are descibing is not an active infection of herpes in the eye, that is usually seen in a corneal ulcer caused by herpes

Dr. PG :

you are having recurrent herpetic keratitis (from the history)

Dr. PG :

this is an immune response of the body to the first episode of infection of herpes

Dr. PG :

this is not active infection with you sheppding the virus and infecting anyone comingin contact with you

Dr. PG :

the keratitis which you get is inflammation in the layers of the cornea which occur whenever the virus get reactivated

Dr. PG :

so, rest assured, you have not infected your neices

Dr. PG :

unless there is an open ulcer in your eye (with pain, watering, discharge etc), you could not have infected your neice

Dr. PG :

i hope this helps