Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

what could cause me to go blind in one (right eye) overnig

what could cause me to go blind in one (right eye) overnight?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

hello

Dr. James :

Before we begin.

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Customer:

yes and i am ok with it

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Do you have any eye pain?
Is it one or both eyes?

Customer:

no pain, and just the right eye is the issue

Dr. James :

What exactly can you see out of that right eye when you cover the left eye?

Customer:

just a very small amount along the fer right side. not enough to make things out, more like some light

Dr. James :

When you went to sleep last night your vision in that eye was normal?
You woke up with this problem?
Do you have any headache?
Do you have diabetes or high blood pressure?

Customer:

it started to get a little blury when i was going to bed. i woke in the middle of the nite to go to the bathroom and couldn't see out of the eye. no headaches, no diabetes and no high blood pressure.

Dr. James :

A common condition which results in people waking up with sudden, painless vision loss is called anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. This is thought to be due to a mini-stroke of the optic nerve. This often occurs in the early morning hours because your blood pressure tends to be its lowest at that time.

Unfortunately, there is no good treatment for this condition. There are other conditions which can cause vision loss so it is important to get a complete eye exam. I'd recommend you call your ophthalmologist regarding an appointment. If you do not have an ophthalmologist, I recommend you visit with an optometrist do as many of them work on Saturdays.

Customer:

it started like light and dark spots kind ok like looking thru a siece of lace.

Customer:

i called around and cant get in to see anybody until monday or tuesday

Dr. James :

That could also be bleeding in the eye. In which case, you should be seen today. Keep your head elevated to allow any blood to settle.

Dr. James :

Have you called any optometrist offices.

Dr. James :

Many optometrist at Wal-mart, Costco, etc are open today.

Customer:

i have called but will try more. i am not an emergency room kind of guy

Dr. James :

It is best you are examined by an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Customer:

oh i will try wal-mart. it's 4:30 so i don't know if they are still there. but i will call.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

no not now thank you

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

ok will do. i was hoping for some insite into my issue but will pay for your advice

Dr. James :

After you get an exam and still have more questions, you are welcome to return to this page for clarification.

Customer:

ok thank you

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon