Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

It has been almost 6 weeks now since my retinal tear surgery

It has been almost 6 weeks now since my retinal tear surgery and I still have no improvement with my perpheal vision loss. My surgeon just says he's sorry and says everything in my eye looks good but I must have gotten some optic nerve damage that can happen. Wanting to get a second opinion I went to another very well known and respected eye surgeon and he said my optic nerve looked perfectly fine but my surgeon was just "a little too agressive" trying to get all the vitrious floaters and damaged a couple of small areas on the retina. Both did not give me much hope for improvement but there may be a little. This has destroyed my career at this point as a golf professional and I am just sitting around not knowing what to do next. Any advice? Could they both be wrong and I have hope of getting this fixed?
I still see a bright dripping in my eye they both say may just be "activity" of the retina trying to heal but it hasn't changed for the worse or better. I also still have some bloody discharge every evening that my surgeon also could not explain because he says it should not be doing this still. Help!!!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

are you present online?

Dr. PG :

kindly give some more information regarding your question-

Dr. PG :

- what is your present vision, are you able to see the light or any hand movement etc?

Dr. PG :

- on the retina examination what do the two specialists say - is it totally attached?

Dr. PG :

- what medicines are you on?

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>I have lost about 90% of my perpheal vision out of my right eye, looking right. It is mostly black, somewhat blurred, just off my right eye. It feels as though there is a black mask on my face at eye level and chin level. I actually can see a little bit to the right in between these two black areas. </p><p>They both say my retina looks attached now.</p><p>I cannot see any hand movement in this area. It has been exactly like this from the time my eye patch was removed the day after surgery. Of course my overall vision was not good because of the gas bubble at that time. I knew something was wrong because I had very successful surgery on my left eye and I knew what the recovery was like. Thanks for any suggestions at all. I can't believe there is nothing I can do.</p><p>I really feel like there is still a small tear or something because I see this constant "silver water drip" in my eye exactly where I can't see.</p><p>The eye drops they have me taking are prednisolone 4 times daily and alphagan 2 times daily,</p>
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
What surgery has been done in your other eye and when?
Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a vitrectomy back in June of 2010 for removal of floaters (left eye). Different surgeon performed the procedure. Went great....no problems....about a month for full recovery.

It was by far my worst eye as far as floaters but it went so well that I had other eye done. Wow, big mistake.

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.
It seems that though you went through a fast surgery which successfully attached the retina. Since an eye evaluation shows that your optic nerve is normal and the retina is attached, then the most probable cause in your case seems that the retina got damaged compromising the vision. This could have happened before the surgery when your retina got detached or could have happened inadvertently during surgery. But unfortunately once the retina is damaged there is not much that can be done. If there were other complications like a raised pressure, a vitreous bleed or an edema in the retinal layers etc, those could have been treated. But in your case, no abnormality could be found on a complete retinal evaluation. This indicates that the affected retina is basically dead.
I know this is difficult for you, but unfortunately based on the details given by you, there is nothing much that can be done.
Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Unfortunately that is the answer that I thought I was going to get. Can you explain why I am seeing this light and "silver dripping" in my eye though? Also, why would I still be having some slight bleeding at night from my eye. They say the tear ducts look good and the surface of my eye is looking pretty good now also.</p><p>I know I am grasping for any hope but could the stitches be causing any of this and when they fully dissolve things could get better.</p><p>I know the blindness happened during the surgery and not before.  I had no side vision problems prior and immediately noticed it after surgery.</p><p>Are there any other tests that could detect a very small tear still in the retina that they both just didn't see under examination.</p><p>Also, my actual surgery was in blunt terms...hell!  The surgery was 4 hrs. late of when they started all of the eye drops and by the end of surgery I completely felt the stitches being put in my eye ball and told them (anesthisoigist & dr.) or such.  Could something else besides inside my eye have caused this blindness because of this surgery problem? </p><p> </p>
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.
the slight bleeding again is unusual after 6 weeks. The only explanation is that the area of suture might be getting irritated or might not have healed properly.
The light or silver dripping might be due to either a mild tug on the retina in a particular area (this can occur if there is some traction of vitreous on the retina). The other possibility is that some part of retina in your peripheral vision might be having some vision and that might be getting activated.
There are no particular tests to see a small tear on the retina except a detailed examination which has been done by the two specialists. Also, if there was a tear, you would not have had an attached retina, so if your retina is attached, there is no tear present.
There does not seem any other cause of your loss of vision.
How is your central vision?
Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

My central vision is pretty good. Still somewhat blurry but I feel like it is getting a little better daily. Still a few small floaters, but not too bad.

The "shiney activity" has remained pretty constant since day 1 with no improvement or any worse in the perpheal vision. Seem to notice the shimmering a little more at night with eyes closed and having used the alphagan drops prior to bed.

If it is retinal damage by surgery mishap is there a chance for some improvement by "cell rejuvenation" of retina. If it just got a little better and "off my face" it would be tolerable.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.
thanks for th information.
If your central vision is good, then some amount of peripheral vision does get compromised after a retina detachment surgery. This is because a band encirclage is done all around the eye ball to support the retina to prevent recurrent retinal detachment. In that case, the peripheral vision is compromised equally in all directions. If you are having loss of peripheral vision 360 degree, then it could be due to the band inserted, which is expected. But if it is more in a particular field of vision, then the cause is retina damage.
The cell rejuvenation treatment is still in experimental stage and would not help in your case.
Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question. I think we had a misunderstanding of my original surgery. I did not have a retinal detachment and band encirclage but rather a vitrious removal of blood hemoriging from a previous vitrectomy and the repair of a retinal tear using laser. Only after this treatment did I lose the perpheal vision. The surgeon that did this procedure claims the small areas that appear damaged do not "match up" with the areas of my blindness and that is why he thinks it is optic nerve problem. Yet the opinion and testing of another doctor says my optic nerve looks great...absolutely no problem.

What would you do if you were me? I have two conflicting reasons for my problem and I know that time is of the essense when treating the retina. It is hard to just wait another month with no change for the good or bad. Sorry to continue like this but give me your professional opinion on what you would do if your eyesight was a huge part of your professional career from now on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you there to answer my one last question?

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry for the confusion, I thought you had a retina detachment surgery.

If there was no band encirclage, then usually the peripheral vision should not be compromised.

One of the investigations that you get get done is a visual field test to look for whether the optic nerve is compromised or not. An FFA (fundus fluorescein angiography) might demarcate areas of retina damage if the blood supply to the affected areas is compromised.

Regards

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)