Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

When i am tired it feels like my eyes are moving about in my

Customer Question

When i am tired it feels like my eyes are moving about in my head. Im 24 now and this has only started happening a month into a new job which requires a lot of strain on the eyes staring at 2 computer screens all day. I got laser surgery 2 years ago and my eyes were fine after. My right eye is v strong and my left eye is good but not as good as the right. My optician looked at me and said he could not find anythin wrong with me apart from the fact that my eyes operated separetly and that I couldnt make out 3d objects. I feel that when I look at an object, the more I look the more eyes seem like they want to pull away. Sometimes they just jolt off in some direction. Its worse when I look at someone from an angle not straight on, the eye farthest away seems harder to control. When I am in unfamiliar situations its worse or just uncomfortable in the company I am in. When I feel under pressure or nervous my eyes start moving about without me instructing them to do so especially if I am not focused on anything. They were worse a couple months ago even if I looked at cars in the distance coming towards me they would just jerk off in some direction but after doing some eye exercises I learned about online and taking some vitamin, calcium, magnessium and flax seed oil supplements they have improved and are not as extreme although they are still not right. When I walk also it feels like 1 sort of bounces about. When I close my eyes also it feels like they kind of move about by themselves. Eyesight is perfect. I dont have any conditions and I dont get headaches or anythin. As I said my optician did numerous tests on them and said he could not see anythin wrong however I feel that when I focus on something for a few seconds its perfect but when I try to keep focused like looking at someones face during social interaction thats where the problem lies. Its worse as I get more tired. I find that when I have a few days rest for the weekend etc they tend to be much better on the monday etc. I have never had any problems before and this is something which has totally just appeared in the last few months If you have any idea whats up, I would be very grateful. Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. I'm here to help you with your concern and will be typing my response to your question while you read this.

What you are describing is called strabismus. Strabismus means a misalignment of the eyes. There are certain types of strabismus where the eyes move up, out, in, or down and it sounds as though yours is the type where your eyes move out. This is called exotropia. The fact that you do not have stereovision, or the ability to see things in 3D as you were told is a sign that this was a problem since your early childhood. When the brain does not hold the eyes together sufficiently during our formative years, this ability to see things in stereo does not develop and therefore is lacking the rest of our lives. You still are able to distinguish where objects are in space because you've learned monocular clues (shadows, angles, sizes of objects relative to other objects, etc).

The reason this exotropia happens more when you are staring at something is because the brain tends to relax the control of the eyes when you are not intently moving them and this relaxation causes your natural tendency for the eyes to move out to become more pronounced. This is also why this happens when you are more tired. The eye exercises you have been doing are called pencil push-ups and help strengthen your ability to keep your eyes together. Continuing to do these things is a good idea as this is one of the very few things that can help stave off worsening of this misalignment. Also, if you have any nearsightedness at all (ie myopia), even if you don't currently wear glasses, wearing nearsighted or myopic glasses can help pull the eyes together as well.

If, despite these two measures, the eyes continue to get worse with respect to this problem, the only recourse is surgery to realign the muscles that move the eyes. While it's still major surgery, it's a relatively easy thing for the eyes to recover from and involves very little pain or discomfort.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the thing is though how do you explain the fact that I have never had this problem before until about 6 months ago until I started this new job? If I have had this all my life wouldnt I notice it?

The older we get the less strong our eyes become as far as focusing power and maintaining the eyes straight together. Because of that it is not uncommon to see this start to occur in adulthood when it really wasn't evident before. Also if there has been any head trauma or you are on any psychotropic medicines (anti-depressants, anti-seizure medicine, anti-anxiety medicines), this can also make this predisposition more pronounced.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the answers. I havent been on any medicine or anything or involved in any kind of accident or injuries but the job I have kind of involves focusing very hard and comparing information on two different screens and your eyes are moving about pretty fast so I think that might be a reason why my eyes are kinda jumpy and feel like they need to be moving all the time. Also the fact that it happens when ever I feel like im in uncomfortable situations that it could be caused my anxiety also. What exercises do you think would help me strengthen these muscles and to improve this eye teaming? I have also ordered a tibetan eye chart online as I heard that was good at strengthen eye muscles! I will hit the accept answer and give you a good comment after this answer. Thanks again!!!
I think pencil push-ups are the best exercise for this problem. Take a pencil or pen, hold it out in front of you at arms length with one hand. Slowly bring the pencil closer and closer to you, all the while concentrating on maintaining one image. At the moment you see two images, stop. Then do that again 9 more times per session. Do a session of 10 push-ups four times per day. The object is to try and get the pencil closer and closer to your nose progressively without seeing double. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that, Not sure if you got the other comment i sent but I said that I sent you a fiver extra for the help. Thanks very much. Also with regards to supplements what kind do you think might be beneficial to me? I am currently taking 20mg of Lutein for about 4 days now as I heard that improves focus and vision as I found that the more powerful or the eye closest to the image tended to do the work and the other eye would just go outta focus. Do you agree this would be beneficial to me? Also do you think anythin else would be like maybe bilberry I heard about or are these not really related to my problem. Thanks again

Thank you so much for the bonus--that's very much appreciated.

As far as supplements go, there has been nothing studied or shown in research trials that can affect the course of this strabismus problem. While Lutein is found in the retina and is being researched for its effects on macular degeneration, I don't have any reason to suspect that taking it would do anything for you; the same goes for bilberry. However, would they cause any harm? Doubtful, but I don't know for sure because the bad side effects have never been studied in persons taking them in excess.

I hope that's been helpful. Thanks for the extra history and your effort in helping me figure out your problem--your bonus is very kind. I'll still answer more questions if you have them, but if not good luck to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yea they probably dont help that particular problem but even if they make my eyes feel healthier its still a start. Thats everything I have anyway so thanks for your time and knowledge.

Shay

You're welcome. Good luck.