Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter has been complaining of eye pain since yesterday.

My daughter has been complaining of eye pain since yesterday. Since Saturday, she has had a fever, stomach ache, sore throat and cough. The eye pain started last night.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How old is your daughter? Does it involve both eyes? How do her eyes look to you?

Customer :

Thanks very much. I am concerned because at the doctor's office this morning (we went to get a throat swab for strep), when I told her about the eye pain, she said that if it worsens, to head to the ER

Customer :

She is 7 1/2

Customer :

One eye only. She is in a lot of discomfort and doesn't want to move it to either side. She can go up and down without discomfort

Customer :

The doctor had said that her fever, cold and related symptoms were probably a viral infection and that her glands were swollen. The eye pain is a new thing for us and when I mentioned it, she seemed to take notice

Customer :

They eye is not red, swollen, bloodshot or discharging at all

Customer :

She has had a fever of 100-101.5 for a few days and lethargic as well. Could this be related to the other symptoms or unrelated (i.e. secondary infection?)

Dr. Rick :

So, just to make sure I understand: Your daughter has a viral infection, but is an otherwise healthy young girl who takes no medicines, and now she has an externally normal looking eye(s) but complains of pain when she moves her eyes left or right, but not up and down. Do I have this correct so far?

Customer :

that is correct, thanks

Customer :

The doctor could not rule out strep as she didn't do the rapid test, so we won't know that for sure till Friday

Dr. Rick :

does she complain that her vision seems to be worse then normal?

Customer :

no. her vision is fine, same as always

Dr. Rick :

will she close one eye at a time and give you a good answer as to how she can see with each individual eye?

Customer :

she has done that and she says that it seems fine

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That's good.

Customer :

She says "it only hurts when I move it" Thanks

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of things that can cause your daughters eye to hurt when she looks in a certain direction. Many of them cause vision loss to some extent, make the eye look red, or the orbit look swollen etc.....In a normally appearing eye/orbit with no decrease in vision or inability to move the eye (your daughters eye moves normally, it only hurts when it moves, correct?) the list is much smaller.

Customer :

The eye is moving normally, although she is limiting the movement due to discomfort. vision seems fine as she has been watching TV at the same distance without issues. No redness, swelling, discharge or visible ailment.

Customer :

our concern arose when the doctor mentioned that in very rare cases, an infection can develop behind the eye and that we should head to the ER if her condition worsened significantly

Dr. Rick :

It may be something as simple as myositis (inflammation of a muscle that moves the eye) from her current viral infection, to extensive sinus disease, mild orbital disease....and then we get into rare things we don't like to talk about :), which I doubt are the issue here.

Dr. Rick :

So. The botXXXXX XXXXXne: What to do?

Customer :

That must have been what the doctor was referring to, those rare conditions...

Customer :

She says that it's worse moving in one direction than the other, slightly worse when she looks to the right

Dr. Rick :

He is correct, but there is normally some other signs of orbital cellulitis, abscess formation and those other nasty things....

Dr. Rick :

Don't think that is going on here......

Customer :

Okay then. What should we continue to look for to make sure it isn't something more? Would it be obvious to us?

Dr. Rick :

Could there be an abscess there, some type of mass or inflammation? Maybe. But from what you are saying it sounds like your daughter doesn't seem that sick.....she would be a fairly ill, cranky, little girl if any of that stuff was going on....not answering questions for Mom while she talks with some (wonderful) doctor on the computer ;o)

Customer :

Okay, I hear you. She doesn't seem like she's in severe pain, more moderate, when she moves the eye, but we will continue to watch her

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't rush to the ER at this point. If she complains of vision problems, or if she can't move her eye normally, the orbit swells, eye gets red or your "Mommy Sense" starts to tingle get her to see an ophthalmologist. How's that sound for a plan?

Customer :

That sounds like a plan. Thank you for your time and for allaying my fears of something rare and strange :)

Dr. Rick :

I've got 5 munchkins of my own so I know what you're going through....

Customer :

Where are you located right now?

Dr. Rick :

Northern Wisconsin, not too far from Lake Superior.

Customer :

Go Packers! Thanks again and have a good night

Dr. Rick :

Good to see the even Canada has Packer Fans! My pleasure. Have a good night.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k