Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

Should a Restore lens be used as a replacement lens after

Should a "Restore" lens be used as a replacement lens after cataract surgery if the patient has no vision in the other eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

are you present online?

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Restor multifocal intraocular lens is a good multifocal lens to be put in an eye with cataract. This can be used in any patient with one good eye or both good eyes. This lens will improve your far and near sight both.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been told by 5 separate eye doctors who practice in the Phoenix area, including two who specialize in cataract surgery and one retinal specialist, that the "Restore" lens should never be used if there is only one good eye. Each one has said they would only use a standard lens when there is only one good eye. They say the refration rings on the Restore cause the problem, but I can't give you the specific details as to why. They say as standard lens would give me clarity on either distance or close-up and then glasses could correct the other. But using the Restore creates nonclarity distances.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
A binocular vision is always better than a uniocular vision. usually a multifocal IOL is recommended in both the eyes, but that is usually the case if the vision is normal in both the eyes with no loss of vision in either eye due to any other reason. If the patient has a monofocal IOL (standard IOL) in one eye or is not planning a cataract surgery early in the other eye, then usually a monofocal IOL (standard IOL) is preferred and not a multifocal IOL. In your case, since you have loss of vision in the other eye, the same logic does not apply. As I said before a binocular vision is always better than a uniocular vision, irrespective you get a monofocal IOL or a multifocal IOL implanted.
As far as the diffraction that can be experienced due to rings in the IOL, that can be experienced by a patient with both good eyes or one good eye. A minority of patients with multifocal IOL take a longer time to adjust to it i.e. 6-10 months even, but that is irrespective of having this IOL implanted in both eyes or one eye.
Again diffraction from the rings on the IOL be experienced in a patient with this IOL in both the eyes or in one eye.
But if you are really apprehensive and if you do not read a lot then you can go ahead with the standard IOL, with correction for far vision and use glasses while reading.
Regards